immediately sent out the following order: The general is

sorry to be informed that the foolish and wicked practice of

profane cursing and swearing — a vice little known heretofore in

the American army — is growing into fashion. Let the men and

officers reflect 'that we can not hope for the blessing of

heaven on our army if we insult it by our impiety and

folly.
'”

Unknown - “Profanity never did any man the least good, no man is the richer, or happier, or the wiser for it. It commends no one to any society. It is disgusting to the refined; abominable to the good, insulting to those with whom we associate; degrading to the mind, unprofitable, needless, and injurious to society.

"Nothing is greater or more fearful sacrilege than to prostitute the great name of God to the petulancy of an idle tongue." - Jeremy Taylor

"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it." - George Washington

·
Premium Member
13,264 Posts
"Went to Philly. Went to Philadelphia but it was closed." W.C.Fields

·
Registered
737 Posts
"The fact that you explore yourself more than others, that you dress differently, that you don't find idle chatter entertaining, that you aren't faddish, that you despise television, or that you don't respect "public opinion", (an oxymoron if ever there was one), may mean that you live, not below the standard of normalcy, but above it."

Daryl Sharp - TO Jungian Analyst

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Michelle said:
"The fact that you explore yourself more than others, that you dress differently, that you don't find idle chatter entertaining, that you aren't faddish, that you despise television, or that you don't respect "public opinion", (an oxymoron if ever there was one), may mean that you live, not below the standard of normalcy, but above it."
...good one, michelle!

here's another oxymoron: mainstream taste

-dh

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you go to sleep with an itchy a$$, you'll wake up with a smelly finger :tongue: - Confucius

·
Registered
635 Posts
I liked what Tony said on The Sopranos last Sunday:

"'Remember When' is the lowest form of conversation."
(In response to a couple of guys exchanging non-stop "remember when" stories)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Michelle said:

Jesus- now you're quoting my mom's friends! You're freakin' me out, Michelle!

·
Registered
737 Posts
nine said:
Jesus- now you're quoting my mom's friends! You're freakin' me out, Michelle!
Oh man that's funny! She sent me here to keep an eye on you nine! I'm kidding! That's cool that you know him tho, I read a few of his books. That is actually one of my favorite quotes, it's like; check, check, check, check.... I ain't 'normal' by most standards for sure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
"Free is when you dont have to do nothing or pay for nothing...
I want to be free....free as a bird...."

Frank Zappa

1 - 20 of 34 Posts