The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on the Parts Express website - "FootNote Electric Guitar 5 Watt Amp Assembly - No Power Supply" from www.parts-express.com! - and was intrigued. Then, this morning, I saw it at the local Princess Auto as well ($24.95Cad). Parts Express was selling it as a package with an Eminence speaker and PS for $29 ( "Build Your Own FootNote Guitar Combo Amp - Components Only" from www.parts-express.com! ). Looking at the board this morning, it is reasonably well made, just not anyone's idea of a gigging amp.

It's a simple 5W clean solid-state amp with volume/treble/bass. But what's interesting about it is the other stuff that's part of the amp assembly. It has a line out, auxiliary in, a cable tester, headphone jack, and eight 9V power jacks for pedals. I don't know what anyone was thinking when they designed it, but it appears to be optimized for some sort of pedal-demonstration board for trade shows or music stores.

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
I think I posted this about 6 months or so ago to get some feedback. It's tempting.

It was actually part of an skb pedalboard, iirc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I posted this about 6 months or so ago to get some feedback. It's tempting.

It was actually part of an skb pedalboard, iirc.
Interesting. I was not aware that SKB was a pedalboard-maker. The unit now begins to make more sense.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Originally they tried to market it as an amplified pedalboard, with built-in speaker. It would have only been good for noodling at home, but you could still use it as a pedalboard for gigging I guess. The amps and speakers ended up at liquidation type places, the pedal board must have made shipping too prohibitive.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
A while back Parts Express had a small combo kit that looked similar (red and black face).

edit: not the on linked in the OP, but a full kit with precut wood for the cab etc.

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The video in my post shows the construction of such a pedalboard. But I was also unaware that it was initially sold as a complete kit.

P

·
0 Posts
I saw this on the Parts Express website - "FootNote Electric Guitar 5 Watt Amp Assembly - No Power Supply" from www.parts-express.com! - and was intrigued. Then, this morning, I saw it at the local Princess Auto as well ($24.95Cad). Parts Express was selling it as a package with an Eminence speaker and PS for $29 ( "Build Your Own FootNote Guitar Combo Amp - Components Only" from www.parts-express.com! ). Looking at the board this morning, it is reasonably well made, just not anyone's idea of a gigging amp.

It's a simple 5W clean solid-state amp with volume/treble/bass. But what's interesting about it is the other stuff that's part of the amp assembly. It has a line out, auxiliary in, a cable tester, headphone jack, and eight 9V power jacks for pedals. I don't know what anyone was thinking when they designed it, but it appears to be optimized for some sort of pedal-demonstration board for trade shows or music stores.

Footnote Electric Guitar Amp/Pedal Board Module | Princess Auto

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried to see what the power-amp chips were, but the legending on them was faint and the lighting didn't permit seeing them clearly. I'm assuming it's a pair of TDA2003,which would permitted considerably more than 5W with a higher-voltage power supply, but then you'd have to regulate that supply voltage down to the 9VDC used for the pedal-power outlets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts