The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This touches a bit on the discussion in one of the threads in the Acoustic forum.

I brought two Les Paul's to my tech (Tex & Shyboy) the Montrose and the Babe - I was meeting the owner of the Babe to make the transfer but wanted to show Brad the specs on the Babe to replicate on the Montrose and do a refret to have bigger frets.

After some to and fro'ing, Brad tells me that "technically" the Montrose is better set up measurement wise. After adding a bit more relief to the Montrose and a couple tweaks, the Montrose's playability is superb.

Avoided a refret or postponed one....and set ups really boil down to personal preference - there is no right or wrong.

Here are the two LP's getting acquainted...it was a brief affair.
@sambonee you might like this wing chair better : - )

Living room Room Furniture Couch Interior design

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The one on the left is looking at the other, thinking..
"I bet you would burn pretty nice...melt that silly hunk of aluminum right off of you"

·
Registered
662 Posts
In guitar setups, a few thousandths of an inch in nut/saddle height can make a massive difference. Neck relief is very important too.

A lot of "Bad" guitars that I come across are really just in need of proper setup.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In guitar setups, a few thousandths of an inch in nut/saddle height can make a massive difference. Neck relief is very important too.

A lot of "Bad" guitars that I come across are really just in need of proper setup.
agree. One guitar that stands out for me was a Baker Robben Ford model. I bought it from a seller in the US and I don't think it had gotten much attention. Acoustically, it was very "plinky" sounding and no vibe whatsoever when plugged in - I raised the action and it turned into a completely different instrument. - it was like a personality transformation - warm and punchy sounding guitar with lots of good vibes.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
agree. One guitar that stands out for me was a Baker Robben Ford model. I bought it from a seller in the US and I don't think it had gotten much attention. Acoustically, it was very "plinky" sounding and no vibe whatsoever when plugged in - I raised the action and it turned into a completely different instrument. - it was like a personality transformation - warm and punchy sounding guitar with lots of good vibes.
Yeah, string were hitting upper frets - that explains plinky sound and no vibe. Raising the action freed them to happily oscillate and ring :)

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
I lowered the action on one of my gigging guitars (a little high from factory for my strings) and now it's very easy to play. I didn't do any measuring though, just a quarter turn per post and a quick play test. Intonation is still good too!

A good setup is key.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I noticed that as well after having bought feeler gauges to setup my guitar. Quarter turn of anything on the instrument is enough to make it feel different but only equating to a few thousands of an inch. I stopped setting up my guitars with the feeler gauges as it took less time to eye ball and let the fingers be the judge.

Being that fingers are capable of identifying small differences in surface texture, its no surprise that we can detect these tiny differences. I am not sure what "better set up measurement wise" means as everyone's preference is different. I remember reading in Dan Erlewine's repair book setup measurements for various famous guitar players. Their measurements all varied.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed that as well after having bought feeler gauges to setup my guitar. Quarter turn of anything on the instrument is enough to make it feel different but only equating to a few thousands of an inch. I stopped setting up my guitars with the feeler gauges as it took less time to eye ball and let the fingers be the judge.

Being that fingers are capable of identifying small differences in surface texture, its no surprise that we can detect these tiny differences. I am not sure what "better set up measurement wise" means as everyone's preference is different. I remember reading in Dan Erlewine's repair book setup measurements for various famous guitar players. Their measurements all varied.
For a Tech, it means that its following the "rules" generally recognized for setting up a guitar (small amount of relief, etc).

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
great looking pair of guitars!!

I dig the bigsby, looks killer on there

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Personal preference always comes into play

SRV - big strings, high action = great tone

Billy Gibbons - ultra light strings, low action = great tone

and both could play like no tomorrow. There is no "right" answer, just right for you. Specs are a great thing because it gives you something to go on. Once you get it playing how you like it, measure everything and write it down. Then you always have a base line to compare. If you make an adjustment and like it, change your note. If you don't like it, you know how to get back.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Measurements are a starting point. Every guitar is different. Measurements that work on one guitar may not work on another.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts