The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Playing jazz on a variety of guitars; full body, thin line hollow, semi-hollow, solid body, humbuckers, P-90, single coil. Neck pickup only.
1. Epiphone Emperor Regent ........ 0:01
2. Gibson ES-125 ........................ 0:57
3. Kay Galaxie ............................. 1:55
4. Global 330 ............................... 2:54
5. Ibanez AS120 ........................... 3:55
6. Yamaha SA-50 .......................... 4:55
7. Ventura Gold Top ....................... 5:52
8. Fender Standard Stratocaster ..... 6:51

Many years ago I was talking to Glenn Murch (then Murch Music and now L&M in Cambridge). He and his brother are both very skilled guitar players.
He was showing me a variety of beautiful jazz guitars through wonderful amps.
Then he said..."You know you can play jazz through almost anything" and then he said to an employee "Grab me the cheapest Squier strat we have in the store" ...He was playing and looking at me with a huge smile on his face...LOL.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Jazz Tones,... :eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
The strat surprised me a bit and I wondered where the Godins were.

P

·
0 Posts
I liked the Ibanz and the 125 the best. I would have liked to hear a 335... and perhaps a 175 as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Jazz tones, bring 'um on! My father was a jazz musician so I grew up listening to Joe Pass, Lenny Breau, Ed Bickert, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow etc.. If anything it should be, "WARNING, bad attempt at playing jazz". :)
Interesting comparison though. You really can get a reasonable jazz tone out of almost any guitar. And you're right about the Murch brothers. Both are accomplished jazz guitarists. Their father was no slouch either.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
The Ibanez and Gibson Es-125 stood out for me getting that warm "hollow" tone. A reputable dealer once told me that in order to get a great jazz amp, take the shittiest solid state amp, make sure the back is fully closed and voila (!!).

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... A reputable dealer once told me that in order to get a great jazz amp, take the shittiest solid state amp, make sure the back is fully closed and voila (!!).
So...Maybe that is where many of the shittiest SS amps on Kijiji end up??!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts