The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I've been recording "The Blues", a seven part series produced by Martin Scorsese. The Knowledge network in BC has been showing them. I watched Part 5 last night. It was fascinating. It was about the son of Chess records founder, Marshall Chess. He put together a band with Muddy Waters and some members of Rotary Connection in 1968. It was more psychedelic music than the blues and the record was greatly criticized when it was released. Chuck D of Public Enemy heard the record and emailed Marshall. They become friends and got the band back together (minus Muddy) to record a couple of modern songs in a similar vein but with Chuck D and some other rappers (Common) on vocals. I'm now looking for a copy of the original Electric Mud album. They reason they made it was to lure rock fans to discover the blues. 30 years later Chuck D hears it and discovers the blues. What they played of it was very interesting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks man! Was just thinking of looking for good music documentaries and then seen this post.. can’t wait to check them out!

·
Registered
24,373 Posts
Whooooooo doggy. That's a lotta blues.

When I was about 16, my best friend and I got to interview Junior Wells for our high school paper. Four or five years later, I got to see Roosevelt Sykes and Taj Mahal at Mariposa, and around the same time saw B.B.King at his peak, on a bill with Bobby Blue Bland. A few years later I was fortunate enough to go see Muddy Waters. Blues is in my blood.

Thanks for the links. I look forward to some relaxed viewing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts