The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I just want to give you a warning about openly looking for someone on a 'luthiers' forum to build you guitar parts. I've seen this drag out and end terribly on another forum where a guy got ripped off because he had some 'internet luthier' build him a 'neck'. He sent the money, and the guy made hardly any progress on a piece of garbage that would have never worked and made NUMEROUS excuses over the course of a YEAR and ended up dissapearing with the poor guys money. It was a terrible disaster and I think changed the whole mood of the forum from that point on.

If you think you can get a body & neck built for cheap by a luthier I think you will be mistaken and should just check out Warmoth, Allparts, etc.

Don't mean to sound harsh, I just want you to be aware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
M_A_T_T said:
I just want to give you a warning about openly looking for someone on a 'luthiers' forum to build you guitar parts. I've seen this drag out and end terribly on another forum where a guy got ripped off because he had some 'internet luthier' build him a 'neck'. He sent the money, and the guy made hardly any progress on a piece of garbage that would have never worked and made NUMEROUS excuses over the course of a YEAR and ended up dissapearing with the poor guys money. It was a terrible disaster and I think changed the whole mood of the forum from that point on.

If you think you can get a body & neck built for cheap by a luthier I think you will be mistaken and should just check out Warmoth, Allparts, etc.

Don't mean to sound harsh, I just want you to be aware.
Don't take advice from guys named Matt on the internet. Especially on guitar forums. :food-smiley-004:
Have you considered buying a kit? It can be a pretty good way to go and probably just as cheap as buying a seperate neck & body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Lowtones said:
Don't take advice from guys named Matt on the internet. Especially on guitar forums. :food-smiley-004:
What is that supposed to mean? Go to Project Guitar and do a search for 'Litchfield' and you will see what I mean. Check out THIS to see how it ended. All I'm saying is be cautious of who you have build you a neck and body if you meet them in a forum setting. Get references. There are alot of pro builders hanging out in Luthier areas of guitar forums, as well as amatuer builders looking for a first sale.

I agree a kit may also be a good choice, you get everything needed to finish the guitar (not the finish) if you were looking for that also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
M_A_T_T said:
What is that supposed to mean? Go to Project Guitar and do a search for 'Litchfield' and you will see what I mean. Check out THIS to see how it ended. All I'm saying is be cautious of who you have build you a neck and body if you meet them in a forum setting. Get references. There are alot of pro builders hanging out in Luthier areas of guitar forums, as well as amatuer builders looking for a first sale.

I agree a kit may also be a good choice, you get everything needed to finish the guitar (not the finish) if you were looking for that also.
It was supposed to be a joke MATT. Just not an appropriate smiley to indicate it. I agree always use caution with any internet transaction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was counting on some familiar GC regulars to do it for me. Anyways I found a great store on ebay that sells cheap. I think I saw an ash guitar body
painted for about 70 dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
SnowBlind said:
I was counting on some familiar GC regulars to do it for me. Anyways I found a great store on ebay that sells cheap. I think I saw an ash guitar body
painted for about 70 dollars.
If you want to come down to the London Area for a weekend I will be more than happy to get you going to make your own in my shop. With the kids all grown & gone we have spare bedrooms and the Little Lady would feed you well. There will be lots of sanding to do after you leave but you will have a decent body & neck. Please realize that by the time I've made a neck & body that is pretty much a completed guitar and I'm currently way behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowtones said:
If you want to come down to the London Area for a weekend I will be more than happy to get you going to make your own in my shop. With the kids all grown & gone we have spare bedrooms and the Little Lady would feed you well. There will be lots of sanding to do after you leave but you will have a decent body & neck. Please realize that by the time I've made a neck & body that is pretty much a completed guitar and I'm currently way behind.
Actually I decided that im going to build a carvin guitar kit. I hear carvin's are real quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
SnowBlind said:
Actually I decided that im going to build a carvin guitar kit. I hear carvin's are real quality.
That's a good choice. My first guitar was a Carvin Kit. Very good quality. and quite easy. I still have and use it. The finish will be what you make of it. I upgraded to the twin rail humbuckers. I would suggest that you go with their best pickups if you can afford right away. You can always upgrade to anything you want later as it has a universal routing.

Very Cool , enjoy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lowtones said:
That's a good choice. My first guitar was a Carvin Kit. Very good quality. and quite easy. I still have and use it. The finish will be what you make of it. I upgraded to the twin rail humbuckers. I would suggest that you go with their best pickups if you can afford right away. You can always upgrade to anything you want later as it has a universal routing.

Very Cool , enjoy
Ill be getting an HSS type. Id rather buy a pickup from a company that has specifics on tonal characteristics of the pickups. Since its 'winter' now I cant paint outdoors and I dont want to paint indoors for health reasons I think ill just pay for the 50 dollar black paint job option. I also plan on installing a kill switch and a parallel/series switch :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
SnowBlind said:
Ill be getting an HSS type. Id rather buy a pickup from a company that has specifics on tonal characteristics of the pickups. Since its 'winter' now I cant paint outdoors and I dont want to paint indoors for health reasons I think ill just pay for the 50 dollar black paint job option. I also plan on installing a kill switch and a parallel/series switch :D
You will be able to put it together in a couple of hours.:banana:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top