The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for instructional materials for bass? I play guitar and I know some theory, can read basic music (nothing too complicated or it takes forever). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bird said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for instructional materials for bass? I play guitar and I know some theory, can read basic music (nothing too complicated or it takes forever). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I get a lot off You Tube. Type in your favorite player and "bang" :rockon:

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I generally run my students through the 3 volume set of books from Alfred Publishing, "Beginning Electric Bass", "Intermediate Electric Bass", and "Mastering Electric Bass".

Hal Leonard's book, "Electric Bass Composite" by Dan Dean is also pretty good.

Musician's Institute has some worthy bass books too, like "Music Reading For Bass" and "Grooves For Electric Bass".

In any event, it's a good idea to augment whatever you're doing with other materials, perhaps style or artist specific just to keep things varied and interesting. Blues with Mel Bay's "Complete Blues Bass Book" for example, or rock with the "Bass White Pages". Hal Leonard also has "Bass Play Along" books with cds in a variety of styles (I think there's 7 of them), plus a generalized "Rock Bass Method".

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sounds awful but I find 'Bass Guitar for Dummies' useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts