The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would start this thread because there are some of us who's body never knows what regular sleeping hours are.

I follow the protocol:

No coffee after a certain hour

No thought provoking thinking before turning in

A light snack if needed

A dark and sleep conducive room

And no phone or laptop 1/2 hr prior to winding down waiting for the sleep fairy!

And...........my mind says NO! Let's get this party started! I look at the time and it's 2:30 am! Why?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Last night I stood in front of my bedroom window looking at my backyard and beyond for 30 min ... that 30 min window was from 4 to 4:30 am, so I will be looking forward to any advice others have. I have found listening to "mid-fullness mediation" works about 50% of the time for me.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
Count me in. Sometimes I just can't make the monkeys STFU.

I used to like reading (real books) before sleeping but my arms aren't long enough anymore. E-readers can make the print bigger but I don't think that's a good idea before sleep. Lately, I've been listening to a couple books on audio - I'm not getting much out of the content as I graze in and out of consciousness, but they do put me to sleep sometimes. Sometimes not.

I just know after one bad night, the next is usually better (because I'm so fricken tired). And for when it goes on for a few nights, there's always Halcyon.

Often, I'll get to sleep and then wake up 3 or 4 hours later (like 3 AM) and feel fully rested. When I retire, I'm thinking I might try to change my pattern to a couple of 3 or 4 hours sleeps in a 24 hour period, roughly 12 hours apart. I believe a few people, like Einstein, did this as they go older.

·
Premium Member
10,857 Posts
I have to rise at least once per night to take a whizz and sometimes I just can't get back to sleep. Other times I just wake up inexplicably. I think hypertension might be a contributing factor.

A glass of water at bed time, deliberate deep breathing, comfort in ventilation/temperature/humidity/noise/bedding, peace of mind, can all help, as can good digestion and some light exercise an hour or so before. Sexual activity can help as well, but isn't always frequent enough to deal with the issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Seroquel and Cipralex put me to sleep almost every time, but when they don't, the Melatonin does. Kratom and weed are adjunct helpers, for those REALLY bad nights. Being manic depressive ain't easy......

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought I would start this thread because there are some of us who's body never knows what regular sleeping hours are.

I follow the protocol:

No coffee after a certain hour

No thought provoking thinking before turning in

A light snack if needed

A dark and sleep conducive room

And no phone or laptop 1/2 hr prior to winding down waiting for the sleep fairy!

And...........my mind says NO! Let's get this party started! I look at the time and it's 2:30 am! Why?
Such a terrible affliction, on occasion I have been awake for 36 hrs straight, not funny when working 12 hr shifts!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have trouble falling a sleep at night and staying asleep at night. My wife is out cold 5 minutes after her head hits the pillow and is a deep sleeper. She gets it from her father, he is the same.

My eldest son is like me and has trouble falling asleep at night. My youngest son takes after his mother - out like a light. They have been like that since they were born. So there is definitely something hereditary going on.

My wife bought me a Fitbit last year, and it helps in 2 ways - 1. a reminder to put Guitars Canada away for the night 30 minutes before I go to bed and 2. A target sleep duration and monitoring. I have a goal and just having that is helping me to extend my sleep duration when I don't wake up in the night.

And as for waking up in the night, I need to avoid liquids in the evening and stress. The first is easy. The second....is a work in progress. I guess the important thing is knowing the causes so effective change can be realized.

Good luck to all who are seeking better rest. Lack of sleep sucks.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have had the horrible experience of not sleeping one iota and then going to work! I feel just so horrible and then I feel sick to my stomach or I fall asleep for two or three hours and i wake up 4:30 am or some other ungodly hour and I have to get up and do something!

I have Imovane when the going gets ridiculous! Last night I couldn't fall asleep! I really tried hard and then said, screw it! I ate 1/4 cookie and fell asleep within about 45 minutes! I slept until 11:30 because I could, having an afternoon shift!

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
I find myself listening to Coast to Coast when I can't sleep, even though the show has been horrible for a while now.

Of course, there's also this method.....

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, I'm in.

I am regularly awake around 2:00-3:00 am. I try and make myself get up instead of just flopping around and play guitar for an hour or so.
That is what I resort to as well! It helps me to focus on something else instead of tossing and turning and knowing that everyone else is friggin sleeping and I am NOT!

My guy friend gets up and does needlepoint if he can't sleep. He said it just helps him to relax. It's actually a hobby for him.There is a group of guys that get together on Tuesday nights. They drink beer and either crochet or needlepoint and talk about the drama on their lives! I think it's a great idea!

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tonight is just one of those nights. It's 12:25 and I am not the least bit tired. This really sucks because I have to be to work in the morning super early. Tomorrow is going to suck too.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
My guy friend gets up and does needlepoint if he can't sleep. He said it just helps him to relax. It's actually a hobby for him.There is a group of guys that get together on Tuesday nights. They drink beer and either crochet or needlepoint and talk about the drama on their lives! I think it's a great idea!
The View Reboot. Now with more penises.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
On thing that research is showing, very solidly, is screen time: phone, tablet, computer, TV,... stimulation of visual receptors by these ways results in a decrease in secretion of natural melatonin needed to fall asleep. May not affect everyone, but for people who have problems falling asleeep, this is a major contributor.

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
On thing that research is showing, very solidly, is screen time: phone, tablet, computer, TV,... stimulation of visual receptors by these ways results in a decrease in secretion of natural melatonin needed to fall asleep. May not affect everyone, but for people who have problems falling asleeep, this is a major contributor.
Yea, I put that issue to bed years ago (pun intended). I don't do any up-close screen time (phone, tablet, cptr) for at least an hour or two before going to sleep. But I do occasionally fall asleep while watching tele and getting ready to go to bed. So that seems to have the opposite effect, sometimes.

What I absolutely cannot do is fall asleep while listening to music. My brain latches on to that music and won't relax or ignore it. Talk radio or audio books can put me right out, but music? Nope. Many decades ago, I had a roommate that insisted on going to bed with the radio on. I just waited for him to fall asleep and then I turned it off.

Reactions: Lola
1 - 20 of 164 Posts