The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm looking for information on a place called "Inmont Canada", apparently in Toronto. It's theoretically a centre of lutherie study.... I can't find any info on this place at all - I'm wondering if it's a school that went under or never actually existed at all...

Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
The only Lutherie school in the city I knew of was Canadian School of Lutherie, but they closed up the TO branch (there was one somewhere in the maritimes too IIRC) due to crazy rent. I hear they were moving in somewhere else in the GTA but their website has no info - was checking earlier.

Stew Mac's school list includes the following that I have no experience with:

Geary Guitarworks

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
The only lutherie school I can remember was based in Winnipeg. They offered a one week course. Sorry no idea what the name was
Or contact Exotic woods in Burlington. They put on guitar building workshops so they probably know a few schools

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
There’s a lady teaching somewhere in Quebec. Acoustic builder. She even has lodging I think (rural location)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
There is Hands-On Guitar Making Course in Chelsea QC, near Ottawa. Are you looking for course suggestions, or are you curious about that place specifically? (When I hear the name "Inmont", I think paints and finishes manufacturer)

No personal connection, but a guy I know did the course and loved it; he's now repairing guitars and doing good work.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
There is a place in Mississauga (I think - somewhere west of TO, anyways) that will guide you through building your own custom acoustic guitar. An acquaintance of mine has built two - the one I've seen and played is absolutely gorgeous. The other one he built for his daughter. I think he went once a week for a year to finish each of them.

Edit: Pretty sure this is the place: Karol :: Building Courses

1 - 8 of 8 Posts