The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought yet another guitar today. $20 for an SG copy... KAY, which I think was Kawai. I have a near identical one already ($35) from Vibra. Fun project/learning guitar because this one is missing everything.... just a body, neck and what looks like Squire tuners.

Anyways... has the big ugly plastic looking inlays. Not even a hint of pearl really. I figured an excellent opportunity to practice a re-fret, and replacing inlays. Nice jewellers saw set on Amazon... nice reason to buy a new tool. :D

I don't really want to spend big bucks on abalone or pearl, debating which to use.

On eBay, I see some veneer sheets for about $25, not bad but a bit busy looking. I also see some sheets listed for inlay material, made of celluloid.

Figured I'd ask here, what's decent to use for inlays... and what's decent to use for a beginner who has never used a jewellers saw/rig before. Apart from actual pearl/abalone, would celluloid work/last? pickguard material maybe?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Sorry, can’t help but watching this thread with interest. Hope to see the play by play photos

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always forget to photograph as I go... I'll have to make an effort on this one.

Still debating how much to change as well. Brown stained, plywood with multiple pieces for the veneer so nothing spectacular. Debating restore the current finish, strip and try to stain it a different colour, or sand a bit, fill the dings and Pelham Blue.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
exotic woods burlington

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All it says is "We also have a selection of Shell and Reconstituted Stone inlay materials."

Doesn't really say what else can be used. Well, other than some kind of stone I suppose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts