The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, if not most, Seagull models have slightly wider necks than most other acoustics. For those who have played those wider necked Seagulls, do you find it difficult to adjust to the less wide necks on electrics after having played the wider neck? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the wider neck on those Seagulls?

I can't play acoustics worth a damn but want to grab one and to put in some work. I am thinking that a mid-level, all wood Seagull or Simon & Patrick would be a good buy. I can buy new at L&M but these are readily available on the used market so I was thinking of going that route, but do not want to buy a wider necked one if there are disadvantages to them or if they make it difficult to adjust back to electric necks. Buying new through L&M would give me a return window, but that window doesn't exist on the used market so I wanted to ask here before I started looking. I will, of course, try some before buying but my local L&M doesn't carry Seagull (they carry S&P instead) so I would have to make about a half hour trip to the next nearest store that does stock them and figured I should ask for info here before taking the trip.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I prefer the S&P necks. They extra width on the Seagull along with their profile isn't quite as comfortable for me. That said, you could probably get used to either. I switch back and forth regularly between acoustic and electric and it doesn't take much of an adjustment. The trick will be to get used to the acoustic for a while until it feels just as natural as the electric. That way, when you switch, your brain will have he programming for both.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seagull does make a slimmer neck (the S6 Slim model), but I am not sure about slim necks on their mid-range models. The info used to be readily available on their website but I couldn't find it the last time I looked.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have had 3 wide neck Seagulls & I like 'em fine. I don't find it a bother moving from electric to acoustic, but I do notice the difference when I grab my beater Yamaha acoustic (which has a relatively small neck for an acoustic) in comparison to my Seagull.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
While I understand the appeal of Seagull or S&P, I ended up buying a Yamaha LL16 last week after being mightily impressed with the sound and feel. It's a big rosewood boomer and it's great. Given that I'm selling my J-45 True Vintage and I have a Halcyon NL-00 commission on the way, I wanted something that I would be happy with while still being able to take it to drunken jams and not be paranoid of it. I was looking for a sub-$1k guitar that sounded good and that I could use anywhere and this one fit the bill. I played a ton of S&P, Seagull, Epiphone, Larrivee, Taylor, Martin etc. and this one won. I was close to grabbing the S&P Showcase Mahogany, but this one edged it out. I am tempted to try out the LS16, too, but I'm worried I might like it.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know several people who own and love Yamaha acoustics. I really need to get over my perception of them, which was based entirely on their low end models, and give them a look.

Part of the appeal of Seagull and S&P is that they are all solid wood, and Canadian made.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had been thinking of an all solid wood guitar, but should maybe consider laminated back and sides as well.

That being said, there is a top end Norman model (the ST40) which has solid mahogany back and sides and sells for less than $600 new.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I know several people who own and love Yamaha acoustics. I really need to get over my perception of them, which was based entirely on their low end models, and give them a look.

Part of the appeal of Seagull and S&P is that they are all solid wood, and Canadian made.
Yeah, man. I am always willing to give Godin products the benefit of the doubt for being Canadian, but when it comes down to it, tone and playability have to take precedence.

As to your point about laminates, there are tons of laminate acoustics that sound great. I tried a Yamaha LL6 (similar to line, but laminate back and sides) that was also very nice and I have an Art & Lutherie Roadhouse parlour that sounds very good. The new Art & Lutherie lineup was redesigned with new bracing and they sound really good for the price. I tried the dread at the 12th Fret and it's very good for the money. Acoustics, much more so than electrics, are individuals, so you need to just try them and find which one sounds and feels right. The brand can give you a starting point, but your ears have to make the final decision.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
That being said, there is a top end Norman model (the ST40) which has solid mahogany back and sides and sells for less than $600 new.
There's a B50 in Ottawa on Kijiji for $550, and an ST40 for $429. But this one caught my eye above all others:
Norman st-40 folk guitar | guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Looks like a really great model, but I'd rather pay a bit more and get a mint one.

If you end up looking at any second hand guitars and find a Godin model with a Tric case, that's a nice extra to have. The Tric cases are really great and they actually have a 'seal' so that you can humidify your guitar most effectively in the case. I'd look for a Tric case alone on Kijiji even if you buy another brand of guitar. You should be able to find one for $50 or less if you are patient. They are $109 new.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's a B50 in Ottawa on Kijiji for $550, and an ST40 for $429. But this one caught my eye above all others:
Norman st-40 folk guitar | guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji
Looks like a really great model, but I'd rather pay a bit more and get a mint one.

I would prefer a Dred and am in the GTA so that Ottawa one is too far away.

If you end up looking at any second hand guitars and find a Godin model with a Tric case, that's a nice extra to have. The Tric cases are really great and they actually have a 'seal' so that you can humidify your guitar most effectively in the case. I'd look for a Tric case alone on Kijiji even if you buy another brand of guitar. You should be able to find one for $50 or less if you are patient. They are $109 new.

I've never used one but really dislike the look. Last Sunday I was chatting with a pal who is the assistant manager of my local L&M and the two of us, and another friend, got onto a discussion of those cases (we were in the acoustic room discussing acoustics). I mentioned that Might be interested in a slightly higher end Seagull or S&P but that I didn't like gold hardware and had no interest in the TRIC case. He said that wouldn't be a problem, if I were to buy one they would keep the case and just substitute a normal acoustic case for me.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, man. I am always willing to give Godin products the benefit of the doubt for being Canadian, but when it comes down to it, tone and playability have to take precedence.

As to your point about laminates, there are tons of laminate acoustics that sound great. I tried a Yamaha LL6 (similar to line, but laminate back and sides) that was also very nice and I have an Art & Lutherie Roadhouse parlour that sounds very good. The new Art & Lutherie lineup was redesigned with new bracing and they sound really good for the price. I tried the dread at the 12th Fret and it's very good for the money. Acoustics, much more so than electrics, are individuals, so you need to just try them and find which one sounds and feels right. The brand can give you a starting point, but your ears have to make the final decision.

I thought yours was a laminate? Or maybe I searched the wrong model.

I am heading out in an hour or so and will be stopping in at L&M specifically to try out acoustics. I'll report back, but it will be tough to figure things out when I can't play them worth a damn.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I thought yours was a laminate? Or maybe I searched the wrong model.

I am heading out in an hour or so and will be stopping in at L&M specifically to try out acoustics. I'll report back, but it will be tough to figure things out when I can't play them worth a damn.
The LL6 is laminate, but the LL16 is solid back and sides. Both have solid tops.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, I thought you previous post had said LL6....I missed a digit and then searched for the wrong guitar.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Both my brother and dad have had zippers break in their TRIC cases. It's sort of a crappy little zipper for something that will get a lot of use.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I checked out the LL16 today - what a nice guitar! I am not sure I want to go to $1000 after taxes, but I very nearly pulled the trigger on it today. Maybe the LL6 might be a viable alternative. I will also check out some Seagulls before deciding.

One thing I did realize, is that I think I want a gloss top, or at least a semi-gloss top. Even cheaper acoustics with gloss felt better than more expensive models with satin finishes. They didn't necessarily feel better to play, they just felt more expensive than satin finished guitars.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was in the store earlier tonight and a buddy who works there ordered a couple of Seagulls in for me. One was the S6 Spruce Sunburst GT and the other was the SWS Maritime Rosewood SG which has a 1.72" neck. Or at least I think that is what we ordered, it might have been the mahogany one with the 1.8" neck. We were talking about several things at the time, looking at multiple guitars, and ordering two. Plus, there was a little confusion as the page for the SWS Maritime on their website had the correct SKU but a picture of a different guitar. Anyway, we ordered the two of them so I will try them when they come in.

While there I tried a couple of Taylors and then played a Tele (same model as one of mine) and, although there was some slight adjustment needed, I think much of that was actually in my head more than in my hands. I think there was an adjustment because I was expecting there to be an adjustment. But it didn't seem like anything that couldn't be cured by a few days worth of playing at home.

Now I'm sorry that I passed on a used, but mint, SWS mahogany and case for only $450 the other week because I was leery of the wider nut................

1 - 20 of 40 Posts