The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the "lesser expensive" two rock combos like the studio pro series, the jet, crystal or the new studio signature?

I'm trying to save up for one and I've got about 2000 together. Just wondering how much more I need to get a used two rock combo. I'd love to get a studio signature but not sure how much they go for used.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has been a few Studio 22s through here in recent years, I think. That's probably my favorite TwoRock
Yeah, I think those are probably the most affordable ones. But still expensive 😔 there's one on Kijiji that's a head for 2300. Plus I was thinking about the studio pro 35 cause I like 6L6s.. but may have to compromise I guess. Or wait longer.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
I’ve had quite a few two rocks - large and small. I personally feel the platform works better with 6L6’s. Not really louder, just more open, less compressed and less congested in the mids. TR’s are so mid forward already that I think the extra mids 6v’s bring to the table is too much.

The combos sound much bigger than you’d expect. The cabs look like they might be boxy but I haven’t found that at all.

The only TR I didn’t like was the Jet. I’d steer clear and be patient. The StudioSig was the best of the bunch. Definitely worth the extra if you can swing it. If I ever add another to my collection that will be the one.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had quite a few two rocks - large and small. I personally feel the platform works better with 6L6’s. Not really louder, just more open, less compressed and less congested in the mids. TR’s are so mid forward already that I think the extra mids 6v’s bring to the table is too much.

The combos sound much bigger than you’d expect. The cabs look like they might be boxy but I haven’t found that at all.

The only TR I didn’t like was the Jet. I’d steer clear and be patient. The StudioSig was the best of the bunch. Definitely worth the extra if you can swing it. If I ever add another to my collection that will be the one.
That's actually really interesting to hear about TRs with 6v6s. I definitely prefer 6L6s and the studio sig is my favorite.. any idea how much that can go for used?

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
That's actually really interesting to hear about TRs with 6v6s. I definitely prefer 6L6s and the studio sig is my favorite.. any idea how much that can go for used?
@Sunny1433 , I've owned both the Studio Signature and CRS and the Studio is a great amp. I traded my Studio w/ a dealer and I would check with Electric Mojo as the TR amps retain their price well and the differential in pricing (used vs new) may be to your liking.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Sunny1433 , I've owned both the Studio Signature and CRS and the Studio is a great amp. I traded my Studio w/ a dealer and I would check with Electric Mojo as the TR amps retain their price well and the differential in pricing (used vs new) may be to your liking.
So as in check with electric mojo if they have a used studio sig combo?

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3500 would actually be very reasonable. Did you get it from electric mojo?

And sorry, I don't quite understand "out the door" pricing. New on electric mojo is 4800 which waaaaaay out of my budget.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
3500 would actually be very reasonable. Did you get it from electric mojo?

And sorry, I don't quite understand "out the door" pricing. New on electric mojo is 4800 which waaaaaay out of my budget.
Out the door means your all in cost. The sticker price for a new Studio Signature is $CAD3,450 + tax. Not sure which amp you are looking at.

EDIT: I see you want the combo. The price above is for the head. You can get a decent cab used as they pop up in the emporium. Matt @fogdart had one for sale that would work well (as the cab I have for sale as well....).

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm I'd rather not get a head and can separate unless getting both together is a significant discount from the combo. I've just never liked the idea of amps being in head and can form.

3200-3500 for a combo would be really good.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
Hmmmm I'd rather not get a head and can separate unless getting both together is a significant discount from the combo. I've just never liked the idea of amps being in head and can form.

3200-3500 for a combo would be really good.
It's personal taste and I just converted my RedPlate combo into a head. With the RedPlate combo, I was getting all kinds of loud rattling noises and generally, combo's (especially EL34 platforms) can be a pain with unwanted noise. When you get into heavy weight combo's like a Bogner Shiva or a Matchless, having the weight distributed between head and cab is a lot easier to schlepp.

Check Reverb, they tend to go pretty fast. Again, I would check with Electric Mojo and start from there. good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I’m interested but n this thread. Two rocks are one of the amps I haven’t tried but am interested to. I have a basement of old fenders, do we think that I will get anything special from the two rocks I don’t get from my amps already?

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Kijijisearch:

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kijijisearch:

Haha yeap my only saved search on Kijiji. It's been a long road and some time to go still...

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
I’m interested but n this thread. Two rocks are one of the amps I haven’t tried but am interested to. I have a basement of old fenders, do we think that I will get anything special from the two rocks I don’t get from my amps already?
I would wager a good pre-amp/OD and a PPIMV mod to the Fender and you'll get there.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One part I've accepted is that two rocks are THE aspirational brand for me. The only thing where I look at the brand more than the difference in tone. The difference is there as well. I've heard when I played a two rock studio pro 35 in person. It made me understand what note bloom and big sounding amp meant.

But the fact that I want to own a two rock cause it's a two rock is probably a huge contributing factor too..

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
There are good TR clips on Youtube. In the end, the differences can be very marginal. I a/b'ed my CRS and Bloomfield to my Fat Jimmy Gigmaster 20 which is similar to an "old" Deluxe Reverb. It wasn't an apples/apples comparison as the TR has bigger iron and the tube platforms are different (6l6 vs 6v6) but I was satisfied with the Gigmaster which had imo, a slightly warmer tone (arguably the TR cuts better in a live mix) and the reverb on the TR was a slight notch above the FJ. The trem circuit in the FJ is stellar which was another deciding factor. I could've kept either one and it also came down to the TR being easier to sell than the FJ.

Definitely worth trying a TR - The Studio Signature is really solid but if you want the full two Rock experience, try the CRS. It's a thing of beauty.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
There are good TR clips on Youtube. In the end, the differences can be very marginal. I a/b'ed my CRS and Bloomfield to my Fat Jimmy Gigmaster 20 which is similar to an "old" Deluxe Reverb. It wasn't an apples/apples comparison as the TR has bigger iron and the tube platforms are different (6l6 vs 6v6) but I was satisfied with the Gigmaster which had imo, a slightly warmer tone (arguably the TR cuts better in a live mix) and the reverb on the TR was a slight notch above the FJ. The trem circuit in the FJ is stellar which was another deciding factor. I could've kept either one and it also came down to the TR being easier to sell than the FJ.

Definitely worth trying a TR - The Studio Signature is really solid but if you want the full two Rock experience, try the CRS. It's a thing of beauty.
I mean even if it was a “no probably not worth your time” I’d probably still do it. I feel like it will be quite similar to my proreverb. 6L6 blackface around 35-40 watts. But something to do I guess. And I need a head to put on my 412

1 - 20 of 34 Posts