The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting an LP copy. Can anyone tell me what the electronics are like in the newer (2000-2001ish) Tokais? I am looking for something that I don't HAVE to gut the electronics in.

I know they don't compare to 80's MIJ Tokais, but I am just looking for something decent. I am more curious how they compare to say, a decent Epiphone.

Basically I am hunting down an LP clone for hopefully $500 or under that has some decent electronics. When it comes to LP copies I do like ones that look close to an LP though, so I don't think Agile is an option (the headstock and horn kinda bug me).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I picked up a goldtop tokai, the electronics were already converted over to RS works and the pickups are wolfetone P90's. The tone is awesome. I will add that the build of the guitar is also awesome. IMO they are better than most of the Epi's I have tried including the Epi goldtop. Elitist would be a whole different thing.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a 2005 Korean made Tokai LR Custom. Awesome guitar for the money. I have not changed a thing on it except strings and it sounds and plays beautifully. The stock electronics are fine and the PUs (which I thought I might have to change) get me the tones I want easily. My experiance has been great with it. I used to have a Epi Goldtop and this thing is in another league IMHO. No, it's not a Gibson but as close as you will get for a Korean model at this price.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have an 04 tokai love rock goldtop. sounds great. i replaced the tuners to grover deluxe and everything else is stock. got it for sale actually...i have too many guitars.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man you guys sure love the Goldtops :)

Thanks for the input guys.

The one I am looking at is a 2001 I think. From looking at it I think it's a mahogany neck, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
SCREEM said:
nice guitars for sure, but some have maple necks instead of mohogany so the tone can be quite different.
All Korean made Tokais have maple necks but there was a limited run of mahogany neck ones made around 2001. You should be able to see the wood grain through the finish to see if its maple or mahogany.

As far as the electronics go they have been improved throughout the years in the Korean models we sold here in Canada, the pickups available in the last 2 to 3 years were better than the early 2000s models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cruise the pawnshops, Cash Converters, etc. There's all kinds of 70s-80s Japanese LP clones out there with great electronics and decent woods for less than $300, like ElDegas, Mann, and many others.Occasionally you'll find one for less than $100 that requires nothing more than a small wiring fix to make it a great axe.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up doing a trade for one of these:

I am very happy with it. The pickups are kinda horrible, but the guitar itself is really cool and really well constructed. And as a HUGE bonus, it's super light. Even with the muddy pickups, the guitar sounds very good.

I already got a great deal on a set of GFS Dream 180's on another forum. While I am putting those in, I am going to gut out the rest of the electronics in general.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts