The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sick of being more round than I like, let alone have ever been. I took a year off the bike (mostly MTB but used to road ride) in 2019 after 33 yrs of riding. I bought myself a new Scott Scale 970 in August and threw a couple upgrades at it and rode a handful of times in 2020. I still didn't have the motivation nor real want to ride a lot. Enter the beginning of 2021 and god damnit, I can't wait to ride!!! I have done numerous races in the past, and luckily I had a few gens of GoPro cameras and recorded some. I lost some to a HDD crash, but I still have my 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015 24hr Summer Solstice recordings and 2015 and 2016 of the Woodstock Cycling Club (WCC) Dairy capital stampede 6hr race. I always do the WCC 6hr solo. I don't do well, but man....is it fun!!! Anyway, I've been poking around these videos and watching snippets and it has really motivated me. I mean REALLY motivated me. I've bought a new rear wheel, trainer tire and tube specifically for my 12spd MTB. I sold my CX bike and used the money for the new MTB. I also bought a 2014 Kona unit single speed 29er. Love single speed!! It is amazing how fast you fall out of shape and lose the muscle when not being on the bike for 1.5yrs. So, now that the motivation has hit, I am making myself ride that wave and get my ass down on the trainer. I watch the videos of my own races instead of the pros. Pros are cool but to see how I used to ride and how I can hopefully get back to that point, or improve on it, makes me forgo the fat snacks and fast food. BRING ON THE SEASON!!!!

It's not easy taking a selfie while pedaling on a trainer that mimics life by rocking back and forth. I may be out of focus, but only the image is, I'm still focused. Hamming a little to show how "fun" trainer riding is.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Nice! I’ve been on and off the mtn bike for a few years now, picked up a used road bike last year and was blown away how much fun it was. Can’t wait to get riding again.
In the meantime, and as an alternative form of motivation, I’ve been running, both road and trail.
Whatever keeps you moving!!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to Zwift back when it was free beta. I don't have the smart control on my trainer. It has a "smart" sensor that really only relays nothing more than my Garmin head unit can. Until I am more serious and in better shape, I am staying away from what will eventually become competitive. Slow and steady. I also used Trainer road for a bit.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trainers can be boring, but they can really make spring so much better after the base building. Fluid trainers have really come down in price since smart trainers have taken over as the creme de la creme of trainers. I spent $700 on mine a few years back, but can't justify $1500. Elite at MEC can be around $300. Sorry, I misread that as Tri bike, not TT. My bad. I will get a road bike again some day, but I am the only one I know at my "level" that would be riding. All my cycling buddies who ride road are racing and even their idea of a slow ride, is an all out effort. I stick to the trails mostly. One day though............

·
Registered
444 Posts
Single speeds are the best. I have a 2007 Kona Unit 2-9. First year for the big wheels and the only year (That I know of) that they made it with the Deda road tubing. Head angle is steeper than a modern road racer and it handles not unlike a go kart.
Good on you for braving the trainer. It's so disheartening at times. I, too, have found my motivation again but a new baby is keeping me off the trainer lol. I'll live vicariously through you :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, the smart trainer was a game changer. In erg mode, it can make you do any power, and make training very hard targeted. I probably wouldn’t do intervals, ride to a specific distance, or train effectively unless a screen told me to...

We upgraded our kinetic trainer to a smart trainer (which is so-so...), but then fit a second one so my wife and I can train together and leave our bikes set up. The bottom end tacx flux was $1k.

I have four bikes; mountain (Kona Big Honzo), road (mid-2000 pinarello), fat (KHS 4 season) and touring/commuting/gravel (Jamis Aurora). None are top-end but the variety is nice. My first love is mtb but I’ve grown to love road riding.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@jimmythegeek My Kona is chromoly and has the 29" wheels. The gearing is a little big for me right now, but I can get around The Pines in Woodstock okay. Likely same gearing as yours. 32x18. Last SS I built out of a geared frame was a 29er with 31x19 and was a perfect gearing for me at the time. Hoping the trainer helps in the strength department and makes the 32x18 seem easier from summer.

I get that "WTF is wrong with you" when asked about the SS and tell them how much fun it is. HAHHAA. We're a special breed.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@hondamatic I started my serious love of cycling back in 1988 after I bought a Pinnarello Catena Lusso with Campagnolo Chorus. The year before indexed shifting hit the market. Riding a true Italian bike is motivation on it's own. I can get the smart brain for my trainer, it's another $400ish last I looked. I have to know I am ready for it. I know I am not at this point. First "hill" will be the end of me right now. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
@jimmythegeek My Kona is chromoly and has the 29" wheels. The gearing is a little big for me right now, but I can get around The Pines in Woodstock okay. Likely same gearing as yours. 32x18. Last SS I built out of a geared frame was a 29er with 31x19 and was a perfect gearing for me at the time. Hoping the trainer helps in the strength department and makes the 32x18 seem easier from summer.

I get that "WTF is wrong with you" when asked about the SS and tell them how much fun it is. HAHHAA. We're a special breed.
My favorite SS was/is a 2004 Kona Explosif with 26" wheels geared 32X17. It's being built up geared again now but the sliding dropouts mean SS is always lurking lol.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
yes I was actually following the used $100 trainer market but soon as it got cold they all wanted $200 and more so that was the end of that. Yes it is a tri bike. Cervel P2c with zipp wheels and a cycleops power meter. Not the latest greatest but good enough 4 me. Only put 300 km on it before the cold hit. Took great pleasure burning some dude into the ground that has been bombing buy 4 years like he was Armstrong.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
my wife has been using her Kinetic trainer for a few years now with her mountain bike through the winter time. seems to enjoy it. I want to buy her a road bike, to use with the trainer and possibly get out come the summer time, eventually I think I'd like to join her. The thing is I know nothing about road bikes, any suggestions?

don't meant to highjack the thread but you guys seem to be on a similar topic.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
@vadsy - there are so many choices in bikes almost any brand would have something suitable. Try your local bike shops and see what they have for stock and what they would recommend. It so depends on what type of riding you want to do which, if you’re a new rider you may not really know.
Funny but there are a myriad type of road bikes from long distance touring bikes to full on race bikes. I’d lean towards something with relaxed geometry, lowish gearing and something you can fit a bit wider tires maybe along the lines of a cyclocross bike. Consider tubeless as once you try it you’ll never go back to tubes. Whether the frame and fork are carbon or aluminum or even steel will come down to cost and preference.
Getting into bike riding is at least as deep a rabbit hole as being into guitars is, be prepared.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
the problem is the amount of choice is overwhelming. I've done some research but it usually gets tiring after a while.

doing things in store these days isn't my preference, still allowed but limiting and stock is low on so many things. we found out with new bikes for the kids even this summer and ski/snow stuff this fall. I just need a direction and to check things out used. We are a Kona and Specialized family for the time being, do they make decent road offerings? doesn't really matter on the brand really. recommend a entry level style for a Saturday/Sunday afternoon ride along a paved country road. she's 5'8", rides a 16" mountain bike frame. used budget would be in the $800 to $1600 range

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can see how road bike selection is overwhelming...

Based on what you're telling me, if you're looking at a used road bike (for your 5'8" wife), I'd suggest:
  • Something newer than 2005 or 2006 ('compact drive' gearing, better gearing range, more likely to fit wider tires)
  • Size 52 or 53 cm (depends on brand)
  • Decent component group level (Shimano Tiagra or better, SRAM Apex or better)
  • Something that looks a bit more upright-riding, vs. something that looks racier
For bikes, brands / branding essentially amount to a sticker on the bike. And lesser known / 'less cool' brands (Opus, KHS, Jamis, Devinci, Norco, etc.) can be great values.

For a beginning road rider, I'd suggest a gravel bike, cyclocross bike, or an 'endurance road' bike. They have slightly wider tires, and are a bit more upright in posture, and less 'twitchy' riding than a conventional bike. They're slightly slower but more comfortable. Gravel bikes give you the option of riding on gravel roads / pathways and getting out of traffic.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@vadsy Her inseam should dictate the frame size. There are a number of women specific frames out there now. Pinkbike is a great resource for used bikes that are generally less likely to be stolen than CL or Kij. If you can get a decent aluminum frame with full carbon fork and Shimano 105 or Ultegra, that would be a good bike for starting and advancing on. I am not really familiar with the SRAM nor Campagnolo groups these days.

5'8" should be roughly an 18" MTB frame. Again, if her inseam is 31" then a medium would be the proper fit. Don't go just by height. I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam and I ride one size larger than a couple taller friends because inseam differences.

·
Registered
444 Posts
the problem is the amount of choice is overwhelming. I've done some research but it usually gets tiring after a while.

doing things in store these days isn't my preference, still allowed but limiting and stock is low on so many things. we found out with new bikes for the kids even this summer and ski/snow stuff this fall. I just need a direction and to check things out used. We are a Kona and Specialized family for the time being, do they make decent road offerings? doesn't really matter on the brand really. recommend a entry level style for a Saturday/Sunday afternoon ride along a paved country road. she's 5'8", rides a 16" mountain bike frame. used budget would be in the $800 to $1600 range
This is a tough time to be looking. If you're buying new, and haven't pre-ordered, you're unlikely to get a 2021 due to shortages. Used prices are also insane due to demand. There are deals to be had and I browse bike classifieds obsessively due to the kind of issues that require expensive therapy and since that money would surely be better spent on bikes/guitars...you get the picture.

I have a 2011 Kona Jake that SHOULD fit her (I'm 5'9" and ride and 18" MTB) that you could have for a song. Unfortunately, I don't know how she feels about canti brakes and I'm in Ontario so it might be hard to find out. You're in Alberta right? In any case I can keep an eye out on Pink Bike if you like. DM me if you want to chat.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I work in a bicycle shop. New bikes for 2021 are going to be in short supply all year. This is true for all brands, from Walmart bikes up to Trek/Giant/Specialized/Cannondale. We would normally have 300 to 400 bikes in stock at any given time. In November we were down to 5, 3 of which were little kids bikes, and 2 were size XXL Cyclocross bikes. We've got about 35 bikes right now. It's a terrible time to be in retail if you are afraid of change.

For example...Shimano components and Velo seats are both at 14 to 15 month lead times for OEM delivery. Aftermarket and repair parts are challenging too. There were a few weeks late last summer where we couldn't source 26" tubes or tires. There is a bike boom right now, and the supply chain is struggling to get caught up.

If you are thinking of getting an old bike tuned up for the season, TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP NOW!

Bike trainers have been sold out for months, we're expecting our Oct. 2020 shipment in February 2021. If you wonder why used trainers are so pricey now, it's because new trainers are unavailable.

I have a Tacx Neo2T, on a Saris MP-1 motion platform. Smart trainer + comfort + Zwift is a game changer for me. Once or twice a week I do a session on rollers. I sooooooo wish the velodromes were fully open. I'd drop one day of rollers and go ride the boards.

Rouvy and Road Grand Tours are excellent in their own way. If I was training for a specific race, I'd use Trainer Road. I think I might try Sufferfest this winter, if only to become a Knight of Sufferlandria. I rode 8,200 km last year Zwift and real life combined. My goal for this year is 365 hours of cycling minimum, and 9,000 km minimum.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There were a few weeks late last summer where we couldn't source 26" tubes or tires. There is a bike boom right now, and the supply chain is struggling to get caught up.

I live in Peterborough. I'm about a 15 minute bike ride from the Shimano warehouse/Canadian head office. I have never needed a component that didn't have to come from the California warehouse lol. That being said, I have bought a NOS 26" carbon fork from one of the tech guys. Easily 1/3 of retail and he insisted on payment in Dairy Queen gift cards so he could buy the office ice cream.

As a semi-dedicated retro grouch I find 26" stuff a bugger to come by at the best of times. I can only imagine what it must be like trying to maintain bikes as a shop right now :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts