The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Yes, totally agree. So sad and sending hugs to all concerned. I cant imagine the pain they are going through.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
A terrible tragedy that is too close to home for us. Makes you put the small problems in life in the proper perspective, however.

Prayers go out to all affected by this and wishes for good outcomes for the survivors, many who are still battling for their lives, it should be said...

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Twenty years back, a kid I was teaching checked into the hospital for depression, snuck out and jumped off an overpass onto the highway, ending his life. His entire soccer team came to the funeral. I don't know that I've ever seen so many 17 year-old boys bawling their eyes out. Presumably, all the kids up for release from the hospital will be attending whatever individual and/or mass funerals will be held for those kids whose lives were ended all too soon. When you've laced up with someone as much as they have, I imagine it's like losing a brother.

They'll undoubtedly have some sort of inquest, but I doubt it will bring any consolation to anyone.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
wow that is terrible

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Sometimes the costs of participating in something good exceeds all imagination. This is one of those times. It's heartbreaking, unconsolable, irreversible, final. A small town and a huge community of sports will use this event to mark time, like time stops for a moment while they all take a hit. In hockey, one can normally shake off a hit and re-enter the play. Not this time.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
No words,... no words. (shaking my head)

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
Really? That fixes it?
did you not see the hashtag? of course it fixes it. i thought that part was obvious. they're like superman, without the cape. you can fix anything with #thoughts and prayers. it single-handedly stopped terrorism, didn't it?

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
did you not see the hashtag? of course it fixes it. i thought that part was obvious. they're like superman, without the cape. you can fix anything with #thoughts and prayers. it single-handedly stopped terrorism, didn't it?

Have some respect. This is not the issue to use to make some stupid statement so stop being such a cunt.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The death toll is up to 15 now, let's hope it doesn't increase any further.

I played hockey at a very competitive level when I was younger, and a former teammate of mine went on to play over 1000 games in the NHL so I have spent many, many hours on those buses. There but for the grace of God...................

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
A friend's son had his rights held by Humboldt prior to this season but he decided he wanted to go elsewhere and tried out for several teams in the BCHL before ending up in Canmore of the AJHL. We saw him play in Sherwood Park a few months ago and his dad even made the trip out from Saskatoon to see his son that weekend. With a great head on his shoulders he already had several full ride scholarships in hand at that time and recently accepted one of them from an Ivy League school but his best decision, not that he knew it at the time, might been to leave home and go West this summer.

So sad to see so many young lives ended so soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,560 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The father of one of the survivors has said that his son has a broken back and has no feeling below the waist. Let's hope that is simply due to swelling and that, once the swelling goes down, he regains feeling.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A terrible tragedy, for sure. It makes one question why these things occur in life. Sincerest condolences from our family to the families of the deceased and to all people in Canada who are experiencing grief and loss at this time.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
CBC is reporting that one of the kids was kept on life support until matches could be found for him to donate his organs to six people. Apparently he had signed his organ-donor card as soon as he turned 21.

Without wishing to sound maudlin or glib, some players give their all in overtime. We love the sport itself, to be sure. But often we also love what the sport brings out in people.

Pictures of the accident scene have been few and limited (at least in the sites I've looked at and footage I've seen). However, the intersection appears to have been the prototypic Saskatchewan landscape: flat, square, and unobstructed (i.e., it wasn't any sort of blind corner with limited visibility). I've only driven across that magnificent province a few times, but it struck me plenty of times that one could often drive along those ruler-flat/straight highways for long distances without anyone in front or behind. If your wheels are decently aligned, and the road in good shape, very tempting to take your eyes off the road and tend to something else. The dispersion of the transport truck's load suggests high velocity at impact. So, while the investigation is expected to take a while (as it should), it would not surprise me that the outcome attributes "human error" as the principle cause, rather than anything mechanical.

But that's a mere guess. I'll wait with others for the investigation report.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts