The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, when chase bliss released this thing I was skeptical. Way too many knobs, switches and complexity. And too expensive. For those who are unfamiliar:

So the demo is pretty good. And the idea of analog with much more control a la Strymon is appealing.

So when one came up on the forum, I thought I'd give it a try. I have a lot of delays, and my favourites over the years have been the ML2 (for the clean, modulated DMM style delay) and the Retrosonic (for dark DM2 delay, especially with dirt) I also have an Alter Ego 2 which does some great old style funky atmospheric delays and has the tone print which is very cool.

I loved the small form factor and I thought from the reviews it might be able to both atmospheric stuff and darker slapback.

So I get this pedal and I can't figure out anything. The modulation sounds weird to me, it does this strange pumping thing on the repeats, and I can't seem to get it dialled in. I can get a pretty good dark delay with no mod but the Retrosonic does that just fine and is much cheaper. It was pretty close to the chopping block.

So then in the bottom of the wooden box I find the manual. Its pretty good, actually. I try some of the factory recommended settings and I'm warming up to this pedal. I then realize that I can put in a preset for my DMM modulated delay that is relatively bright, with a big first repeat as well as my darker dirt delay. AND they are easy to access for once, just a little switch. HMM. Better and better.

Then I start tinkering with the ramp functions, tails and modulation. WOW. This thing really is the small box do anything delay.

It will do midi as well if you're so inclined.

Maybe the best analog delay ever?

My one bit of advice is to read the manual right away.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
that's the spirit. You never should give up on a acquired peace of gear, until you tried a lot of stuff, settings, exploration. That should be enjoyable and rewarding time...

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
Joel (Korte) sent me a note when he was on his way to England as a nominee for some pedal-of-the-year award for the Tonal Recall. Sadly, he didn't win, but the fact that it was nominated gives you some idea that your own enthusiasm is mirrored by others'.

His pedals are DEEP...deeper than they look. I've had the Spectre flanger he sent me for over a year, and I still haven't fully explored the possibilities of all those dipswitches. Not to take anything away from Strymon, but don't mistake the absence of a display screen for simplicity.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed it is deep. There are likely things that I will never use or understand in this pedal, but the basic functions are surprisingly easy. Even if I don't use all the swelland ramping options it is a great analog delay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts