The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good. Speaking as someone who was badly hurt due to being rear ended by an idiot using her phone (before the law was changed), I am all for stiffer penalties for using these devices while driving. I also question the wisdom of allowing video screens in vehicles.
The police officer's testimony in this case, if truthful, makes it likely that the woman was not just checking the time on her watch. She was probably reading one or more texts or doing something else on it and if doing that she deserves the conviction.

However I started the thread because there are a lot of these watches around, and they are at times just used as watches. The justice's decision effectively rules out *any *use of the device, and there are at least some police officers who after this decision may lay a charge for merely glancing at the time on one. If I owned one, I wouldn't use it at night!

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
The police officer's testimony in this case, if truthful, makes it likely that the woman was not just checking the time on her watch. She was probably reading one or more texts or doing something else on it and if doing that she deserves the conviction.

However I started the thread because there are a lot of these watches around, and they are at times just used as watches. The justice's decision effectively rules out *any *use of the device, and there are at least some police officers who after this decision may lay a charge for merely glancing at the time on one. If I owned one, I wouldn't use it at night!

All of our cell phones have clocks on them and we are not allowed to use those to check the time.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Well, I thought some federal agency had to authorize any new technology on a car to be sold in Canada.
Am I wrong ?
If so, how come we can now travel in a fully equipped living room... on wheels ?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Good.

Speaking as someone who was badly hurt due to being rear ended by an idiot using her phone (before the law was changed), I am all for stiffer penalties for using these devices while driving.

I also question the wisdom of allowing video screens in vehicles.
Speaking more about phones than watches, they say distracted driving is as big or worse of a problem than impaired driving. So dish out the same punishment. License suspension might make people get a bit more serious about the problem.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,722 Posts
Had one behind me on the 401 a couple of days ago she was screaming into a phone and waving her arms around totally distracted she might as well have been shitfaced drunk. By no means the first one I’ve seen in similar circs. And then there’s the ones coming at you while looking down at their phones.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Speaking more about phones than watches, they say distracted driving is as big or worse of a problem than impaired driving. So dish out the same punishment. License suspension might make people get a bit more serious about the problem.
I agree. I think the fact that so many people started doing it before the govt got a grip on how bad it was - and many are still doing it - they govts in power are now afraid of a backlash from doing what really should have been done right from the git-go. If they made the penalties what they should be, too many people wouldn't vote for them in the next election.

The first time I heard about texting and driving, maybe 2003 or so, I thought "this has to be made illegal". And yet here we are, still not taking it very seriously.

I'm glad I gave up motorcycles a decade ago. And I don't ride my bicycle in traffic much anymore. People are mostly bad drivers in the first place, and this just makes it worse. Perhaps self-driving cars will be better for all those people that apparently don't like to drive in the first place. I'm not one of those, when I'm driving, it's what I'm doing. And I enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I'm all for the crackdown on distracted driving, but often enough the enforcement is bullshit.

I've witnessed people getting fines for receiving texts while driving at night. Not because they looked at the phone, but because the phone was sitting on the passenger seat and the screen lit up the cabin of the car.

·
Registered
766 Posts
What car doesn't have a clock? Why would you even need to glance at your watch?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Clocks were optional equipment on most 80s-95 Japanese cars.
So for 23 years now it has not been optional to have a clock in your car, right? That's my point. How many people drive a car built in the eighties-nineties and have a smart watch strapped to their wrist? The point is that for the vast majority of people there really is no excuse to use a smart watch while driving. It's either redundant (for the purposes of telling time) or its purpose is illegal (texting and such).

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
I never understood the compulsion people have to run for the phone as if their lives depended on it. Drop everything, the phone rang. It might be the fucking rapture for Christ's sake. Why is a phone an excuse to accept and allow anyone to interrupt your life? This has morphed into having a phone practically implanted in our brain and we'll sacrifice our everlasting soul (not to mention the souls of innocents around us) to obey its command. All this is bad enough in the privacy of our own homes but behind the wheel it's a recipe for murder, and I was never asked for my consent to be murdered.

Remember when vehicles had bench seats and the driver could be charged with "crowding" I think it was called. THAT was distracted driving, heavy petting by the dashboard light. I wonder how many folks bought the farm with someone shifting their gears. Manual transmission indeed.

My Rav4 has its own screen that can give you all kinds of information I got along quite nicely without knowing for the first 35 years or so of my driving experience. All kinds of bar graphs and shit to do with milage and fuel, the cost of tea in China, what song I'm listening to, and whether it's time to pre-arrange my funeral. Since I drive reasonably and gas up when needed, I just don't need a screen to tell me anything. What it is handy for is the reverse camera for lining up the hitch with the trailer tongue perfectly...not that it was ever much of a problem before, but it's kinda slick if it's not covered with mud or snow.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
I'm all for the crackdown on distracted driving, but often enough the enforcement is bullshit.

I've witnessed people getting fines for receiving texts while driving at night. Not because they looked at the phone, but because the phone was sitting on the passenger seat and the screen lit up the cabin of the car.

In Ontario you actually have to handle the phone to be charged. But in your scenario the driver should just place the phone on the seat screen down and the problem is solved.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Let's talk about lap dogs in the driver's seat while we're at it. Cut that shit out. Pets belong behind the front seats, I dont care how cute the pet is.
NS has brought in a new law for distracted driving. If you cause an accident or incident that the officer deems to be caused be a distraction, that isn't explicitly banned, you can be fined.

Which is a great thing. Using a cell phone calculator while driving is bad but doing it with an abacus is worse, albeit legal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts