The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, i think this is in the wrong section. If the mods can move it much appreciated.

Okey so a few weeks ago i had problems with my little Champ amp tripping the ground fault switch at a gig i was playing. I blamed the amp and replaced tubes and i was okey since then, no issue. Last night, at the same hall that the problem occurred a few weeks ago, it happened again. I have my pedal board plugged into the GFI and my amp plugged into the pedal power supply ac outlet of my board. I unplugged the amp and tried the pedal board by itself, no issues. I plugged the amp straight into the GFI and it trips the circuit every time? We also have a surge protector that we use so my bandmate tells me to plug the amp into it straight. Works like a charm. So i played the whole night with my pedal board connected to the GFI and my amp in the surge protector. I dont have a clue to whats going on. Is it the pedal board power supply (Voodoo lab pedal power) is it the amp, is it the GFI or is it faulty wiring? Help. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
It may be that somewhere you have an issue with line leakage or possibly a faulty GFCI. It doesn’t have to be as serious as hot and neutral crossing, even a small amount of milliamperes between neutral and ground could set it off. It wouldn’t cause a huge issue normally but a GFCI would see it as a problem and trip.

edit, -Plug the amp into a different GFCI, something in your house like the bathroom or outdoor receptacle if its protected by one. The idea here is to narrow things down.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be that somewhere you have an issue with line leakage or possibly a faulty GFCI. It doesn’t have to be as serious as hot and neutral crossing, even a small amount of milliamperes between neutral and ground could set it off. It wouldn’t cause a huge issue normally but a GFCI would see it as a problem and trip.

edit, -Plug the amp into a different GFCI, something in your house like the bathroom or outdoor receptacle if its protected by one. The idea here is to narrow things down.
Good idea Vadsy. Will try it out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Could just be a bad GFCI, but I looked up a number of Champ schematics including ones that have three prong power cords, and for some reason Fender chose to leave in a capacitor from neutral to ground. Under normal circumstances this capacitor does absolutely nothing in a three prong system, but if there is a wiring issue somewhere, leakage current through that cap could be enough to trip a GFCI. I'm not saying there is something wrong with the amp, but possibly where it was plugged in may have an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could just be a bad GFCI, but I looked up a number of Champ schematics including ones that have three prong power cords, and for some reason Fender chose to leave in a capacitor from neutral to ground. Under normal circumstances this capacitor does absolutely nothing in a three prong system, but if there is a wiring issue somewhere, leakage current through that cap could be enough to trip a GFCI. I'm not saying there is something wrong with the amp, but possibly where it was plugged in may have an issue.
You may be right. I have never had any issues anywhere else i play with this set-up so starting to doubt the wiring in the Legion hall. Playing the same Legion this afternoon and bringing my Tweed amp to compare.

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that not all GFCI receptacles and breakers are created equal. The time/era they were manufactured in also matters. If they’ve seen a lot of use they can get weird with how they start to operate.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something to keep in mind is that not all GFCI receptacles and breakers are created equal. The time/era they were manufactured in also matters. If they’ve seen a lot of use they can get weird with how they start to operate.
Thank you Vadsy. Appreciate all the info. I just bought this one about 2 months ago at Home Depot, so assume all good

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I've had to replace GFCI's that were not old and just started popping off. If you have a few in the house you can swap a couple around and see if the problem sticks with the GFCI, or stays with the location.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks like its a faulty GFI. Tried it in my house and it acted up again. Amp is okey thank goodness. Case closed. Thank you all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts