The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know about you folks, but every time I find myself in a music store, I take a little stroll through the impulse aisles to steal -er, I mean look at cheap items to maybe try out. Anybody find any new strings, picks, etc. that panned out?

I feel a bit ashamed because the item that I recently discovered is probably very familiar to most of you: Jazz Red XL picks...

by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]Gary Green, on Flickr

I've used the XL Blacks, which I believe are tortex, and they are okay, but the reds, which are nylon, blew me away with the amount of control over the attack of the note. I've been using these almost exclusively since I tried them.[/url]

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most of the black and red ones I have seem to be the same nylon material.

They are about 20 years old.

I see I also have a tortex black one. I see pictures online of red tortex ones.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
You have to try the V picks! They totally rock and the control you have over your pick attack is just crazy. They are 100% acrylic. I had some that a friend had given me. Sulphur just topped up my collection with a nice little surprise pkg in the mail!

I used to love Dava picks but you can't use them on pick slides. They get caught up in the strings because of the way they are constructed.

Sambonee is a distributor for V picks I do believe.

You need to check them out!

P

·
0 Posts
I have used the regular Jazz III for a very long time. I used to bite dimples in them for grip until a few years ago when I switched to Jazz III Max-Grip picks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to try the V picks! They totally rock and the control you have over your pick attack is just crazy. They are 100% acrylic. I had some that a friend had given me. Sulphur just topped up my collection with a nice little surprise pkg in the mail!

I used to love Dava picks but you can't use them on pick slides. They get caught up in the strings because of the way they are constructed.

Sambonee is a distributor for V picks I do believe.

You need to check them out!
I've been meaning to try those out, but was waiting until I needed some other items to make the shipping worthwhile

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I've been meaning to try those out, but was waiting until I needed some other items to make the shipping worthwhile
You really have to check them out. They are the cat's meow! ;)

Another fav pick of mine is Planet waves, Black Ice.

Both the V picks and Planet waves picks are picks with substance. They are very solid. I need 1.5 mm up to a 2.0 mm. I can't play with anything flimsy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm of the same school, I've been using the Big Stubby (3.0 mm) for years. They're good for some things, but can be unwieldy with the attack.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I only wish my impulse buys were that cheap. I am currently sitting on around 3000$ worth of "impulse buys" and now nothing is selling.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
You really have to check them out. They are the cat's meow! ;)

Another fav pick of mine is Planet waves, Black Ice.

Both the V picks and Planet waves picks are picks with substance. They are very solid. I need 1.5 mm up to a 2.0 mm. I can't play with anything flimsy.
You might like the 2.0mm Dunlop Gators. I used the Jazz III's for many years until a friend pointed me to the Gators. FAT tone and for me, a bit better of a grip than the III's. I also use a few V picks.

IMG_5862.JPG

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only wish my impulse buys were that cheap. I am currently sitting on around 3000$ worth of "impulse buys" and now nothing is selling.
I've definitely been guilty of the big impulse buys. It's funny how people don't seem to be snapping up gear the way they used to. Can only hope that trend swings once fall comes and people aren't spending all their time outdoors.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might like the 2.0mm Dunlop Gators. I used the Jazz III's for many years until a friend pointed me to the Gators. FAT tone and for me, a bit better of a grip than the III's. I also use a few V picks.
Are the Gators smooth-surfaced, or wre they a bit gritty? It looks smooth in the pic.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Probably why I try and stay out of the music store and just order even my strings online. :)

I once went into the local store to pick up some springs for a Strat I was working on.
I got the springs and a new guitar and a HSC for it. Doh.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Bought a 6 dollar used 10 foot guitar cable at L&M the other day. I did not need it but it was a good deal and soft so it does not coil up like most. Ends were well done also.

Update it is a roadhog cable . best one I have owned.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm bad for impulse purchases too. I almost justified buying a fretless bass and a new Ibanez artcore when I was at L&M the other day... I have a job interview coming up and I'll probably treat myself to the Ibanez if it goes well.

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
The only impulse purchase I'd probably make is a guaranteed good deal I can flip easily. Even then, not sure I'd make it.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
I feel a bit ashamed because the item that I recently discovered is probably very familiar to most of you: Jazz Red XL picks...

i'm gonna warn you guys about those awesome picks. i used to use the standard fender ones like most people. i kept seeing people rave about thejazz picks online, years ago. i picked up some to try. well, after a few hours had gone by, i tried to switch back to the regulation picks. it felt like i was trying to play with a dinner plate. i cant use anything else now, because nothing else feels right to my hand. oh, btw, they last frickin forever. that original pack i bought? still have them. i know it's been at least 5 yrs. still pointy and smooth. one of the best products out there, imo. but for those who don't wanna switch, dont try em out. there's no going back.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I like fender 351 heavies because they are cheap so I can just scatter them around the house, the truck or anywhere I go plus they sound better than anything else I've used.

Although the white ones don't sound as good as the brown ones but they feel stiffer. Whatever they put in the plastic to change the colour makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts