The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am questioning my chances of being able to import a '50s vintage archtop Gibson bridge made out of "god forbid" Brazilian rosewood for a restoration project. The American seller said he would put it in an envelope and simply send through USPS and declare a 200$ value on guitar part without mentioning rosewood at all. I don't feel safe spending that much money on something that could be seized at the border.
Anyone has any experience with that?
Thing is I have 2 pre ban Brazilian bridge blanks I could probably go to my luthier with, to have one custom made which would probably not cost much more, but having the real old part sounds more desirable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell him that he'll absorb the loss if it gets confiscated?
Well I guess since I would buy from Ebay using Paypal, if I don't get my item in the end, I might be "protected" and get a refund if I start a process as never receive it?
On the other end, I am the importer so if it gets seized at the Canadian border it is not really the seller's fault unless the shipper is the one needing to declare what it is.
Which declaring Brazilian Rosewood would make it non grata!
I find weird that many sellers of vintage guitar parts on Ebay still agree to ship such part internationally, so I was assuming they are "maybe" successful then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts