1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Occasional CEO
1,791 Posts
TinyPic gets my vote for best image hosting service for sharing with forums, etc.
TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Super simple to use interface. Just upload right from their main page, then copy the "Direct Link for Layouts" link for forum posting.

Pretty sure they keep every image uploaded indefinitely, so you don't have to worry about it disappearing over time (unless/until the company folds and their servers get shut down.)

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TinyPic gets my vote for best image hosting service for sharing with forums, etc.
TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Super simple to use interface. Just upload right from their main page, then copy the "Direct Link for Layouts" link for forum posting.

Pretty sure they keep every image uploaded indefinitely, so you don't have to worry about it disappearing over time (unless/until the company folds and their servers get shut down.)
Thanks for the tip.
It has nothing to do with my post about Imgur links being parsed incorrectly by the forum software, but it is helpful. If the forum software is going to do that to Imgur links, it should at least work correctly, or be turned off.

I guess I'll check out TinyPic, although your image doesn't show up in your post for me.

·
Administrator
163 Posts
Tiny pic is great, but unfortunately they haven't kept up with the times and they don't have a SSL certificate for their hosted images. Which means they won't work here, since we have a SSL (also known as HTTPS)

I prefer to Postimage.org — free image hosting / image upload , but only because they have a cert

Looking into Imgur

Kevin

·
Administrator
163 Posts
Ok. Best way to use Imgur links is to use the insert image icon.

You are also using the wrong url of your image. That's the url of the page it's on, not the url of the image itself. Right click your pic and "copy image address" and you'll get this link: https://i.imgur.com/5nXZiQN.jpg?2

That's what I used above

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using exactly the URL I want to use, which is a link to an album of multiple images and not the "wrong" link to an image.

Images work, but the album link turns into what shows up in my post above. I know how to embed individual images, but I want to share an album with a link. What's the point of the software parsing the Album link into that gallery thing if it doesn't work? If the software doesn't display that embedded album properly, why not turn that feature off so we can share a link to an album, rather than embedding multiple images one by one?

Imgur image direct link works.
https://i.imgur.com/5nXZiQN.jpg?2

Imgur image embed works.

Imgur album link (https: //imgur.com/a/18HiocA) gives us this:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
When I go to that link (open frame in new tab), that blank pic is what I see (https://imgur.co/a/J11Crw8/embe) m and d edited out so it would show here.
If I edit out the word 'embed' from the address, I see the pic.
Hope that helps someone.
To me it doesn't seem like it would be rocket science for those supposedly in the 'biz'. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not solving your problem, but with your membership why don't you just pull the pics off your computer?
I do that in threads. I wanted to send a gallery of the packaging on a guitar I shipped to a buyer in a PM. It’s not a huge issue, but if the embed plugin doesn’t work, the forum owners might (doubt it, but maybe) want to figure out where the bug is.

·
Administrator
163 Posts
open each imgur file in a new tab and take their URLs from there. it should have a .jpg/gif/png the the end of the URL... like this:
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 5.01.23 PM.png

user img bb code and you should be able to see it.

ie:

lee

·
Premium Member
17,004 Posts
Does Justin really want his name and address on a Collings Guitar box so clearly shown in a public forum?

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
open each imgur file in a new tab and take their URLs from there. it should have a .jpg/gif/png the the end of the URL... like this:
View attachment 270196

user img bb code and you should be able to see it.

ie:

lee
Thanks, but I already know how to embed image links and isn't the issue here. I wanted to send a link to a gallery, rather than embedding a bunch of images one after another into a private message or post. For some reason, Xenforo parses the link into that weird gallery thing you see in my post.

It looks like there's a post about it on Xenforo's support forum here: Fixed - New longer imgur album links do not display correctly. Code fix inside.

Anyway, if the only solution is for me to do it one image at a time, then that's what I'll do. But the forum shouldn't do that with the gallery URL if it isn't going to work properly.

Does Justin really want his name and address on a Collings Guitar box so clearly shown in a public forum?
Very good point. I just deleted that image from the post so it doesn't show up here. I can share it with Justin later, if needed. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a software version issue, I think.

On another forum I visit, their footer says this: Forum software by XenForo™ © 2010-2018 XenForo Ltd.

While here it says this: Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2016 XenForo Ltd.

On that forum, if you paste an Imgur Post link like this https : / /imgur.com /a /18HiocA (my spaces added) then you end up with the [ media = imgur ] tags with "a/18HiocA" in them. On this forum, it looks like this "id=a%2F18HiocA;type=album" and you get that weird blank gallery. It's probably a plugin update in the newer version of the software.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts