The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
For me I couldnt really care about the music these bands are releasing. Music is personal taste. But... I have had the misfortune of seeing some of these acts live and they were God awful. I saw Awolnation opening for another band some friends took me to see, and it didn't even seem like they knew how to tune their instruments. Or cared to.

I like live music. Even bands I don't like I can usually take away at least something from at a live show. That's what I personally can't stand about a lot of these new bands. They simply can't play.

Genres like metal I find the opposite. I am constantly blown away by younger bands I see.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
For me I couldnt really care about the music these bands are releasing. Music is personal taste. But... I have had the misfortune of seeing some of these acts live and they were God awful. I saw Awolnation opening for another band some friends took me to see, and it didn't even seem like they knew how to tune their instruments. Or cared to.

I like live music. Even bands I don't like I can usually take away at least something from at a live show. That's what I personally can't stand about a lot of these new bands. They simply can't play.

Genres like metal I find the opposite. I am constantly blown away by younger bands I see.
I wouldn’t paint Imagine Dragons with that brush.

Tastes notwithstanding, those guys can play.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Yeah, even if they couldn't play, they'd still sound as good. :D
More soundtracks for videos.
Had a good laugh reading that though.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
For a few months Imagine Dragons was in heavy rotation in my life.

Great songs and excellent production.

Charismatic front man. I don’t get what’s not to like.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
Well, they're mormons and it's christian rock, so there's two things.
As I don’t intend on developing personal relationships with them, their Mormonism is of little interest to me.

And, if that’s Christian rock they’re hiding it well.

Anyway, good music is good music. There ARE Christian rock artists in my collection.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I don’t intend on developing personal relationships with them, their Mormonism is of little interest to me.

And, if that’s Christian rock they’re hiding it well.

Anyway, good music is good music. There ARE Christian rock artists in my collection.
Hiding it well? One of their most famous songs is called "Believer", and includes these lyrics:

You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
(Pain, pain)
You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
(Pain)
Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from
(Pain)
Third things third
Send a prayer to the ones up above
All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove, oh ooh
Your spirit up above, oh ooh

I think that's called hiding in plain sight. :)

Seriously, I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek. They seem like nice kids trying to send out a nice message.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
Hiding it well? One of their most famous songs is called "Believer", and includes these lyrics:

(Pain, pain)
You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
(Pain)
Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from
(Pain)
Third things third
Send a prayer to the ones up above
All the hate that you've heard has turned your spirit to a dove, oh ooh
Your spirit up above, oh ooh

I think that's called hiding in plain sight. :)

Seriously, I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek. They seem like nice kids trying to send out a nice message.
Funny, I’m probably the least religious person you’re likely to meet and I’ve listened to that song many times without noticing the Christian message.

Frankly the music matters to me more than any message, but yes ok. We can also look through Black Sabbath lyrics for lots of Christian references.

I don’t take ANYone seriously once they start talking about magic and superstition, but if I stopped listening to anyone with whom I disagreed or to anyone who was a criminal, et cetera, it would be a very quiet world for me.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Funny, I’m probably the least religious person you’re likely to meet and I’ve listened to that song many times without noticing the Christian message.

Frankly the music matters to me more than any message, but yes ok.
I think Amy Grant is still putting out some tunes..,

·
Registered
113 Posts
,,., or maybe even Petra?
Possibly Stryper?

Personally I like my Christian rock stars to be drug-addicted, drunk-driving wife beaters like the dude in Creed. Not sure Imagine Dragons live up to that standard.

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Possibly Stryper?

Personally I like my Christian rock stars to be drug-addicted, drunk-driving wife beaters like the dude in Creed. Not sure Imagine Dragons live up to that standard.
Well, if he's a mormon, then he doesn't even drink Coca Cola. That is some weak stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,501 Posts
It seems that only the singer in Imagine Dragons is a Mormon and is actively trying to change the way that cult treats gays and other alphabetic variants.

For me, this is entertaining. If it’s not cool thta’s Ok. I’m well past the point where I have to have guilty pleasure with what I listen to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts