The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, the "electors" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have done it again. Once again Rush is NOT among the list of nominees for induction. Evidently in all their infinite wisdom they seem to think that The Beastie Boys and The Dave Clark 5 have made better and more lasting contributions to rock music than Rush has. I guess 35 or so years together, 20 studio albums, and millions of fans of all generations the world over doesn't mean a damn thing to the HOF. What the hell is wrong with these people? The greatest band ever (on a par with The Beatles in my not-so-humble opinion) is getting dissed again. I'm pissed!

Here's where I found out about it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21032185/

I solemnly swear that I will never ever set foot in the R&R HOF until Rush's induction ceremony!

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I seem to remember discussing this before on some other forum. <sarcasm>The beasties boys are american and the DC5 were part of the British invasion. Rush is only Canadian, you know, from that barely habitable hinterland north of the world' most important country. They did not move south like Neil and Joni, so that is definitely a strike against them.</sarcasm>

C

·
0 Posts
"Once again Rush is NOT among the list of nominees for induction."
That's cause RUSH sucks.... outloud

·
Premium Member
16,683 Posts
Once again, the "electors" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have done it again. Once again Rush is NOT among the list of nominees for induction. Evidently in all their infinite wisdom they seem to think that The Beastie Boys and The Dave Clark 5 have made better and more lasting contributions to rock music than Rush has. I guess 35 or so years together, 20 studio albums, and millions of fans of all generations the world over doesn't mean a damn thing to the HOF. What the hell is wrong with these people? The greatest band ever (on a par with The Beatles in my not-so-humble opinion) is getting dissed again. I'm pissed!

Here's where I found out about it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21032185/

I solemnly swear that I will never ever set foot in the R&R HOF until Rush's induction ceremony!

By ignoring a band that regardless of personal tastes must surely be considered among the best of the best by most discerning listeners, the hall is undermining it's own credibility and the significance of many of those already inducted.

Rush's absence there makes the hall a bit of a farce in my opinion.
I can accept that some people don't like rush, but to ignore their shear level of instrumental mastery, the massive amount of music they have created in their more than 30 years of selling out stadiums all over the world and the accolades they receive on a continual basis from their peers seems, well....silly.

:smilie_flagge17::bow::smilie_flagge17::bow:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Its not about good music or pioneering the industry. Kiss arent even in there. Its all about radio play and record sales. If it aint bubblegum, it aint getting in.............

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
"Once again Rush is NOT among the list of nominees for induction."
That's cause RUSH sucks.... outloud
Forget whether you like their brand of progressive rock or not and consider this for a moment: the band that has arguably the best drummer and bass player in rock hasn't been inducted...but acts like the Beastie Boys, Chic, Donna Summers, and Madonna have? How could it be? Well, you've got industry people voting for the nominees. My guess is that some favors are being exchanged. I'm also starting to wonder if being inducted is kind of like how Hollywood actors like to pretend that it's a big honor to be asked to put their names in a sidewalk when in reality someone, either their studio or their manager, bought the space for them.

According to the Sex Pistols, it appears to be so...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Sex_pistols.gif

C

·
0 Posts
"*shrug* who cares what the r&r hof does"
HEAR FN HEAR!

"the band that has arguably the best drummer and bass player in rock"
Hardly...

"I'm really &*%##@ mad!"
Don't get mad... get even!LOL

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
"the band that has arguably the best drummer and bass player in rock"
Hardly...
You can't deny that Neil Peart and Geddy Lee's names often come up on that list, but it's all very subjective. It's like some people like to say that John Bonham was the best rock drummer...but I think they are simply confusing playing hard with playing well.

PS. I'm well aware that some of the best musicians are relatively unknown. I know plenty of musicians who would play most of the rock stars off stage. But, I doubt you'd be able to find anyone who would claim to be as better than Neil Peart or Geddy Lee. These two guys inspire other musicians.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Outside of Buddy Rich, Neil Peart is probably the best drummer I have seen in my lifetime, I dont give a shit if he is playing jazz or rock, he is one of the best I have ever seen. To think of the countless drum solos I have sat through... pure nonsense. This man "plays songs" on his drums.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If madonna F---ING MADONNA!!!! can get into the hall of fame then rush should of been inducted years ago. When did madonna ever write a rock song or a good song ? but hey if madonnas in there might as well induct kermit the frog he wrote a few songs didn't he?

·
Registered
526 Posts
If madonna F---ING MADONNA!!!! can get into the hall of fame then rush should of been inducted years ago. When did madonna ever write a rock song or a good song ? but hey if madonnas in there might as well induct kermit the frog he wrote a few songs didn't he?
in the realm of popular music, madonna is far more influential and deserving.
"rock" in the sense of the hof, is extremely broad catch all term.

·
Premium Member
16,683 Posts
Madonna is entertaining, even a decent singer, but it's not the pop hall of fame, it's the rock and roll hall of fame. In that context and in my opinion Rush is much more deserving of induction.

You have to understand that most people who like Rush at all, LOVE Rush, and place them at par with Led Zep, Deep Purple Genesis, Queen, AC / DC and other legendary rock acts.

Influencial?

Since I was fourteen (that would be 32 years ago) I have been a fan and have seen them at least ten times. They have influenced me in a fundamental way and through osmosis, most people I've taught.

Their career is as vast in comparison to many of the inductees as Canada is to many European nations. There are one hit wonders in there, people who released one album, people who have never played a rock and roll song in there entire career. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
526 Posts
beastie boys aren't a rock band either. like I said, in the case of the HOF, the genre of "rock" seems to encompass just about everything.

...rush influenced you, and many other musicians, but haven't had nearly the far reaching influence that madonna has. they have their niche and thats about it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Outside of Buddy Rich, Neil Peart is probably the best drummer I have seen in my lifetime, I dont give a shit if he is playing jazz or rock, he is one of the best I have ever seen. To think of the countless drum solos I have sat through... pure nonsense. This man "plays songs" on his drums.
I agree. It's not a drum solo, it's a musical composition.

By the way, speaking of Buddy Rich and Neil Peart, did you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIchqJoxFQ

·
Premium Member
16,683 Posts
beastie boys aren't a rock band either. like I said, in the case of the HOF, the genre of "rock" seems to encompass just about everything.

...rush influenced you, and many other musicians, but haven't had nearly the far reaching influence that madonna has. they have their niche and thats about it.
Niche?

Selling out stadiums for more than thirty years and releasing dozens of successful albums is some niche.

Springsteen has a nice niche too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That shit is about as lame as Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitarists" list (seriously, Cobain ahead of EVH and Rhoads?).

Rush = legendary, easily up there with Led Zep, KISS, AC/DC, etc. in my book. Every single musician in that band is insanely talented.

Plus if it wasn't for Lifeson, Petrucci wouldn't be who he is today... or Paul Gilbert. Easily two of the greatest guitarists technique-wise and writing-wise IMO!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Niche?

Selling out stadiums for more than thirty years and releasing dozens of successful albums is some niche.

Springsteen has a nice niche too.
Yeah, very nice niche.

"Over the course of their career, Rush has come to release a tolal of 23 gold records and 14 platinum records (3 of which have gone multiplatinum), placing them within the top 5 for the most consecutive gold albums by a rock band. Rush ranks 76th in U.S. album sales according to the RIAA with sales of 25 million units.[77] Total worldwide sales approximate 40 million units."

"Vapor Trails tour grossed over $24 million and included the largest audience ever to see a headlining Rush show — 60,000 fans in São Paulo, Brazil. Nevertheless, Vapor Trails remains the band's poorest-selling album to date, their first not to achieve Gold status."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(band)

Just imagine for a minute how much this 'niche' act earns when it has a hit record.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That shit is about as lame as Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitarists" list (seriously, Cobain ahead of EVH and Rhoads?).

Rush = legendary, easily up there with Led Zep, KISS, AC/DC, etc. in my book. Every single musician in that band is insanely talented.

Plus if it wasn't for Lifeson, Petrucci wouldn't be who he is today... or Paul Gilbert. Easily two of the greatest guitarists technique-wise and writing-wise IMO!
Yeah, Alex Lifeson doesn't get the recognition he deserves, in part because he's Canadian, but also because Neil Peart and Geddy Lee get a lot of attention.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
It is the Pop Music Hall of Fame. No question.

I'm not a Rush fan in the least, but I know that they absolutely should be in anything calling itself the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts