The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been so close to a situation of a system failing children since my own child hood experiences as the one I'm going to describe.
My daughter baby sit a friends children for many years. Most of those years while my daughter lived at home so I got to know and love these children, a boy and girl, well since they were barely able to walk.
The mother and father weren't the greatest parents and struggled with substance abuse. My daughter took them every time she was asked, which was a lot. My daughter knew they were struggling but didn't know how much.
We saw no signs of abuse and they were genuinely happy to see their mother when she picked them up.
Eventually they had another baby, which my daughter became the god mother to. And this is where something went seriously wrong. At 6 months old, one night the baby became seriously burned. The father would later say that the 5 year old boy (who is autistic) got a hold of a torch they used for drugs and burned the baby. The father didn't take the baby to the hospital and tried to treat his baby son him self. Subsequently the baby died.
The parents were both charged. The mother was in custody for 22 months and finally was sentenced to time served. The father has just been convicted and the crown is seeking 7 to 9 years less 17 months already served.
The biggest down fall in the system is that the Children's aid services made a home visit the day before the baby died from his injuries. Injuries that the baby suffered from for a few days. Injuries that if treated could have saved his life according to a doctors testimony.
The CAS reported the home was filthy with garbage strewn every where and from what it sounds like wasn't a suitable environment for children.
I can't understand how the CAS could not detect the condition of a baby who had suffered burns days before and was on the eve of death.
My daughter is taking this pretty hard. At the time this happened she was asked to take the 3 children for a few days but needed a mental break her self. Now she feels guilt.
When the mother was first incarcerated she was pregnant with another child, which she gave birth to in prison. She had corresponded with my daughter (my daughter hadn't yet written her off as she didn't know all the circumstances) She tried to get my daughter to take the baby when born as they obviously weren't going to let the mother keep it.
My daughters initially agreed and the CAS approved it but I talked my daughter out of it because she has her own struggles having raising autistic child.
The tender spot for me is the CAS. I suffered abuse in CAS group homes as a child. The last thing this agency should have power over is children because they keep failing time after time.
Too many times I've seen them take children from families that don't deserve to have their children taken and leave children where they should be taken from.
It came out that at the time of baby's death that the other 2 children were also physically abused. More things the CAS missed.

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
3,363 Posts
That is extremely tragic.
I can't speak one way or the other as to how it was interpreted by the agency, all I can say is that has to he a hard job.

Take kids away, you are a monster. Leave them in a suspect situation, culpable. I'll stick to laying floors. No one has ever died from that, or gone to prison or for that matter had their life altered significantly.

Reactions: guitarman2

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is extremely tragic.
I can't speak one way or the other as to how it was interpreted by the agency, all I can say is that has to he a hard job.
I agree it can be a hard job. However how plain does it have to be before it can be judged that the children are in danger. Their own report details how bad the condition of the home was. The baby was hours away from dying. Did the worker not even look at the kids they were supposed to be protecting?
Because I grew up in the system I always take note of these types of cases when they happen. It seems nothing ever changes. These things happen and the CAS is never held accountable.

·
Premium Member
28,703 Posts
I'm not going to be an apologist for the CAS, but I would imagine that, after regularly coming up against far too many cases like this, caseworkers become somewhat habituated to them. Part of that is because their caseload is often much too high. In that respect, it's not unlike those who work in legal aid, where similar "how on earth could you MISS that?" slipups occur with too much regularity.

We're shocked at the fact the caseworker visited the home the day before, but that can also mean the caseworker was going to do the paperwork and notify the authorities within the next few days, once they did all their other visits.

No one becomes a social worker for CAS because they don't care about children, or aren't troubled by child mistreatment.

But yes, it IS heartbreaking.

·
Registered
2016 Gibson Les Paul Special LTD.... 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco
981 Posts
There wasnt enough minutes in the day for my mother who was a cas worker to get help in fast enough. She would have to come home after 10 hrs and work all night too.
No one with the power cares,,,,just another name on a pile of forms.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I'm not aware of this particular situation but my heart goes out to anyone involved. I will say as well that it's only the system failures that garner any attention. I work in Mental Health & Addiction and have witnessed an impressive number of "successes" within Family & Children Services where children's safety and overall quality of life were dramatically and undeniably improved as a result of F&CS interventions. Obviously the system is far from perfect, however it's not entirely broken either. The situation described here, while truly tragic, hopefully provdes an opportunity for further review and meaningful change.

·
Registered
2016 Gibson Les Paul Special LTD.... 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco
981 Posts
You’d be surprised at how protected abusive parents are under the current legislation.

Anyone who works with children can attest to how challenging it is to actually make a difference in a child’s life or protect them.
One way is for the children to grow up and become educated on generational traumas and the healing that needs to take place in order to break the cycle of normalized addiction and poverty and abuses.
I should stop commenting this is just making me cry. All the things i have witnessed.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
One way is for the children to grow up and become educated on generational traumas and the healing that needs to take place in order to break the cycle of normalized addiction and poverty and abuses.
I should stop commenting this is just making me cry. All the things i have witnessed.
Piss testing for welfare is a start. The entire country would be back to work by Monday.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,604 Posts
I guess we're wired to love kids. I mean, it's hard not to smile when you see a child laughing or playing, and in my case, that has only increased as I get older.

Naturally it riles us up and brings out strong emotions when we hear stories like this one.

I often wish I was a better man than I am, but with all my failings, I never abused or neglected my kids and although I'm sure most parents would say the same, mine were quite challenging.

I should have done more for them, but hopefully there's still time. I'll keep trying.

Anyway, RIP little guy.

Serenety now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Having been a child in CAS I can say that being taken from family is just a devastating as being left in a bad home. And of course if you happen to be native well often you're fucked before you even know it.
But it does break ones heart when you hear that a baby has died. I can't speak on this case as I wasn't there but I don't see any solution either as to how to help one way or another.
And Milkman were any of us the very best parents, we did our best with what we have to work with which often came from our parents teaching us what they were taught. Have you ever talked to your kids about it, I have and we have reached a point in life where we all have grown to correct any mistakes which I may have taught them so that it doesn't continue further down the line.
We can only do what we can do and a great thanks to your daughter at least she tried to make a difference in the kids lives.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts