The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a retiree and avid woodworker interested in learning more about instrument making. I very much enjoy all aspects of woodworking and know that despite my experience, it's going to be a pretty steep learning curve for me.

I'm going to have to ask all of you to be patient with me, as I'll undoubtedly be asking many questions and proposing preposterous approaches to the art of guitar making until I develop the necessary lexicon and understanding to become adept at the craft.

Reactions: bw66 and Lincoln

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Hi Marty !
Big but wonderful project you have !
Decided what type of guitar you want to build ?
I wish you success !

·
Premium Member
18,816 Posts
Hello and welcome to our forum. There's a few forumites who should be able to help you out with your project(s). Ask away!

I'm not one of them, I'm not particularly handy or adept at using tools...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Marty I'm also a recent member of this forum but have already leaned lot's. Suspect you're in a good place. Wish you luck in your endeavor, was also a wood butcher for decades (custom millwork/furniture shop), and look at instruments in awe.
Exotic woods can still be had but come in in limited quantities. If you can't find something, find a shop that buys rough lumber and builds everything from scratch. They'll have access to whatever you want if you're patient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning on an acoustic, dreadnought sized body with a cutout. I recently made a new friend in the local area who's been making beautiful guitars for years, who has agreed to help me along the process.

Hi Marty !
Big but wonderful project you have !
Decided what type of guitar you want to build ?
I wish you success !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the idea and welcome.

Marty I'm also a recent member of this forum but have already leaned lot's. Suspect you're in a good place. Wish you luck in your endeavor, was also a wood butcher for decades (custom millwork/furniture shop), and look at instruments in awe.
Exotic woods can still be had but come in in limited quantities. If you can't find something, find a shop that buys rough lumber and builds everything from scratch. They'll have access to whatever you want if you're patient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I was looking at them; thanks. That website led me to the Paramount Guitars website, which is where I found much more build technique info.

Josh House

Josh House has some good building videos on YouTube.

Reactions: Mooh
1 - 11 of 11 Posts