The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Just look at the increased profits of corporations. They took the news of inflation and used it to jack up their prices much more than necessary to cover the rate of inflation. One report I saw was the that up to 60% of inflation we are seeing has been caused by extra profits being taken by corporate greed and not by market pressure, the epidemic, suppy chain, or other factors.

So much for "We're all in this together". Seems some are in it to profit (more) from it.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Just look at the increased profits of corporations. They took the news of inflation and used it to jack up their prices much more than necessary to cover the rate of inflation. One report I saw was the that up to 60% of inflation we are seeing has been caused by extra profits being taken by corporate greed and not by market pressure, the epidemic, suppy chain, or other factors.

So much for "We're all in this together". Seems some are in it to profit (more) from it.
Hopefully, this will open the door for some small-scale entrepreneurs to find their way into the market.

·
Modulator
750 Posts
So far thru 2022, I've bought a 10 pack of D'addario XLs..

I would wager many of us have gear combinations we haven't even tried at home yet..

Prices go up? dig into what you have! :p

Reactions: Griff

·
Registered
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
the chip shortage is not a proper example. fenders are made in the usa guitars. there aint no chips in a strat or a tele. there aint no chips in a proper tube amp. if new gear was moving as they say it is, it's not just fender, but everyone else, too. with that many new players, where are they? i don't know any, how many do any of you know? surely some of you guys give lessons. are you seeing a flood of new players? this place should be sloppin over with FNGs. i haven't noticed that happening. the big covid checks ended here last spring. the extra covid money in one's u.i. ended in september. no one has gotten extra covid money since then, at least here in the states.
as for the unemployment rate? yeah, that's what i see online is the rate but, if that's true, then the DOZENS of people i know personally, including myself, who have been waiting for their u.i checks for MONTHS without receiving a single dime makes no sense what so ever.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
2,013 Posts
This is arguably the reason for a great many problems in society, far beyond simple inflation. The supply chain is complex. Just one greedy person/business in the chain, and the entire link goes up. And you can guarantee there are many greedy links in the chain. I could go on and on about this subject, but it will likely cause the thread to be closed because it would become an economic/political/moral debate.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
the chip shortage is not a proper example. fenders are made in the usa guitars. there aint no chips in a strat or a tele. there aint no chips in a proper tube amp. if new gear was moving as they say it is, it's not just fender, but everyone else, too. with that many new players, where are they? i don't know any, how many do any of you know? surely some of you guys give lessons. are you seeing a flood of new players? this place should be sloppin over with FNGs. i haven't noticed that happening. the big covid checks ended here last spring. the extra covid money in one's u.i. ended in september. no one has gotten extra covid money since then, at least here in the states.
as for the unemployment rate? yeah, that's what i see online is the rate but, if that's true, then the DOZENS of people i know personally, including myself, who have been waiting for their u.i checks for MONTHS without receiving a single dime makes no sense what so ever.
The semiconductor situation, like Fender's situation, is an example of supply and demand.

There are Ping (Taiwanese) tuners and bridges on Strats made in the USA. And where does Fender get their fretwire? Wood? Paint? Screws? Where does Ping get their steel? Their screws? Their brass components? Any piece of the chain goes missing and you've got supply issues. Just like with the semiconductors, where GM actually was selling cars missing features/components. Why? They had no supply, and there was demand.

And, in the case of Fender, they make all of their own guitars out of these components. If there is demand, but they can't up production, then you have a shortage.

And people are damned right about some firms profiting off the situation. I have seen it myself with ridonkulous estimates for work around my house, where there is no way the cost of materials accounts for the price difference (in some cases, five-figure differences on an interlock patio). Some people (not me) were willing to pay it, so they were charging what the market would bear.

Your choice as a consumer is to bite on inflated prices, or to be patient, and source the better (or remotely fair) deal.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Be ready things won't change even after the pandemic situation.

Even before 2020 we already started seeing more and more empty jobs position. There's more old people than youngster, don't be fooled by covid, there's just a short of avaible workers everywhere.
The age pyramid is reversed and we gonna experience the delcine of many services and business models for many years to come. Add to that, all the emerging countries that have enough of destroying their own country to produce our goods.
Be ready for A LOT of big changes.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
When I see a ridiculously high asking price I don't even want to engage in any negotiation with that seller.
I’ve seen some that I knew were high and others that I felt were high but also considered “maybe it’s just me”.

I’ll usually watch the ad for a bit and if it hasn’t moved in a while, I’ll reach out and either make an offer (usually with something to back it up) or simply say that if at some point, they decide that they might have some wiggle room, let me know. The latter is usually for someone who may or may not have put “firm” in their ad BUT it hasn’t sold or had a price drop in about a month.

If they’re willing to sell at the price I’m happy with, great. If not, I move on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We have 40 job openings in the midwest USA, white collar jobs, we are having a hard time filling. People's expectations are apparently ridiculous. And some of them must be getting what they're after - we were just raided by a competitor, who took back people we raided from them in the first place, paying huge dough to take them back. Just more inflation, it's in everything.
Why would their expectations be ridiculous if someone is willing to meet their demands? If their price is clearing the market, then the problem is probably with your expectations rather than theirs. I think wages have been artificially suppressed for a really long time and are just starting to catch up to true value.

·
Premium Member
9,988 Posts
Why would their expectations be ridiculous if someone is willing to meet their demands? If their price is clearing the market, then the problem is probably with you expectations rather than theirs. I think wages have been artificially suppressed for a really long time and are just starting to catch up to true value.
While I don't disagree with you, people's expectations are sometimes out of whack. My boss says some applying are looking for VP money for entry level jobs. There may be a disconnect, but it isn't THAT big.

·
Registered
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
that was hilarious!
reminds me of when i hired a guy to work in my shop (it was 22 yrs ago)
he came to work in oversized pants and a hoodie, in august. the temp in the shop was at least 90°F on a good day. i gave him the easiest most entry level job in the shop. all he had to do was trace around patterns on insulation with a piece of chalk, then cut out the shape with a knife. he wanted to work with one hand while holding up his pants with the other. i made him tie his pants up with a piece of rope, and told him to wear a belt the next day. the next day came, and no belt. i made him wear the rope again. he complained of the heat. i pointed to one of my mechanics, who weighed about 300 lbs, and was literally working in a puddle of sweat, and was pushing 50. i told him if he can work like that, so can you, being 18 and in good shape. i recommended he take off the gigantic hoodie and it would be cooler. about an hour later i see him walking around, so i asked him what he was doing. he said the heat was making him feel like he was going to pass out. i sat him in the office, and told him to call his ride, he was no longer needed. that was typical of the new hires. they all wanted top pay but didn't bring any skills with them, and didn't want to do physical labor.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
1st - The money has shifted from an industry to another. People don't travel as much, don't go to restaurant, cinema, etc... They stay at home and do other stuff ... like buying a new guitars/amp/pedal.

2nd - Supply and demand. The used market prices are high because you can't find much on shelves. You can compaint about the guy asking retail price on is kijiji ad but the truth is, you won't find his item anyway. Of course there are exceptions. But still true. Someone on TGP has offered me full retail for the Two Rock I am waiting.

Those, who are complaining, are living in the past and are disconnected from reality. It seems they don't understand inflation either.

For the recession, it always comes later, it has begun but there is always a delay from a event to a other.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts