The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Are You A Player, Collector or Equally Both?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, where do you fit in the most? Do you buy to play or mostly to collect or is it close to even on both fronts?

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Used to be both and still am to a certain extent. I've been selling off my guitars and amps. I'm down to five acoustics, five electrics, and three amps. In my mind that still counts as a collection. Once I'm down to three of each I'll consider myself mostly a player.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Three of each type, right?
an electric with humbuckers, one with singles, and an acoustic. that will play any guitar music you can name. more than that, and you are collecting. probably playing too, but collecting none-the-less. not that there's anything at all wrong with collecting. who among us wouldn't want a pile of sweet guitars?
there are 2 kinds of guitar players:

those who want several nice guitars, and liars. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
an electric with humbuckers, one with singles, and an acoustic. that will play any guitar music you can name. more than that, and you are collecting. probably playing too, but collecting none-the-less. not that there's anything at all wrong with collecting. who among us wouldn't want a pile of sweet guitars?
there are 2 kinds of guitar players:

those who want several nice guitars, and liars. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I've got a humbucker PRS, a Tele and a P90 SG. I think P90s, if you like them, definitely bring something different to the table. For acoustics, I'm sure I could play all I'd ever need to play on my J-45, but I also have a parlour guitar that I can fit in the overhead on a plane if necessary (and my daughter plays it), a 12-string for when the mood strikes and a Yamaha (rosewood back and sides) for when I don't want to risk knocking the Gibson around. They also all sound pretty different from one another. Maybe I'm a collector, but all of my guitars get played.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a collection of gear that I play. :)
I think you told us the other day you owned 30 guitars at the moment. That's er, a lot of collected playing.:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
in my mind, if you have more than 3, it's a collection. 3 guitars will cover anything you might want to play
I used to think that. Then I found a guitar I really liked. Then I found another. And another.

Though I have told myself that if I find another that is perfect for me or too good of a deal to pass up, I'll sell something I currently have. I could live without two of the guitars I currently own. I think.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 47 Posts