The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got this a month or so. and overall I am a bit disappointed.

Its a "tube amp" but that's pretty much meaningless as there is no character or warmth to the clean channel.
Its no different than any SS Roland or Vox. Roland actually has much better and natural overdrives.

The overdrives on the champ all sound like cheap overdrive pedals to me. I can't find one good sound where I can pick softly and get clean, then dig in and get a good breakup.
I know I am picky, and the sounds aren't bad, but overall, there are lots of cheaper Solid State amps that sound a lot better.

Effects are decent, but not nearly as good as any cheap, basic pedal doing the same thing.

The sad thing is I got rid of my little Orange Crush 20RT to get the Champ.

The little SS orange sounded better clean and dirty. Great natural distortion. Super dynamic and responsive.
Now I need to sell the Champ and get another Orange.
Anybody else not crazy about Fender's modelling?
Cheers

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
.............. no character or warmth to the clean channel.

................The overdrives on the champ all sound like cheap overdrive pedals to me.
That about sums it up.

I have the X2 and it's the same deal.

I much prefer my Pro Junior with a few pedals.

The one thing I've found with the Super Champ is that you can plug an acoustic guitar into it and it isn't too bad considering. So, that would be good in that I could take just one amp and use it for acoustic as well as electric. But it ain't really all that great on the clean channel for my electrics and the effects channel blows. Gonna work with it a bit more but the clean channel is really cold no matter what I've tried so far.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
I have an X2 head and I run it through a Rajin Cajun. I used the clean channel 95% of the time. I have a Weber mini mass attenuator to push the power tubes into overdrive, sometimes with the addition of light OD pedal. I don't mind the chorus or reverb, as I only use either very lightly. It can easily suck if dial it up even a bit too much

I agree with @Wardo on using it with an acoustic,... and a touch of reverb or chorus.

·
Premium Member
17,374 Posts
If your Orange was doing everything you needed it to, why did you sell it?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
because I thought the Champ would have a better cleans, light crunch and reverb. The orange was a bit more high gain and not great reverb but still better than the Champ.

I also like trying small amps. I have a small space in my livingroom and can't have an amp too big.
I have wanted a Mesa Boogie Express with the 10" speaker for a while, but won't get one until I sell the champ.
But, with Kijiji pretty much dead, there is not much chance of selling the champ.
Its not horrible, I'm just fussy.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I changed the speaker in mine because that's what the internet said to do. No idea if it's any better truthfully but overall, I like mine just fine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just stay on the number 2 voice on channel 2. It models a vintage Bassman with medium gain which is pretty clean on single coils and pretty dirty on humbuckers. When you say overdrives suck- are you talking about the voicings? You know those are amp models and not overdrive models right?

Overall it’s not bad and I even gigged with it a few times while I was still doing that. It won’t really beat a “real” fender tube amp but it’s definately better than a Mustang of the same size.

(I should add that I bought mine used and the tubes had been switched out for aftermarket ones)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the head and liked the clean channel with pedals, the dsp stuff was typical. I actually had some reliability issues with that channel. It would cut out if you really pushed the dsp. The drive was ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts