The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Growing old gracefully. Never! It's like giving up gracefully!

Your still a baby.

Enjoy your day.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Happy birthday!

At my 40th birthday party (almost 20 years ago now), one of my older sisters ruminated about what a joy the 40s are for our family, mature, secure, healthy, happy, loving, and blessed with what looked like a bright future. It wasn't to be for her, she never saw 50. Damn cancer. My point is, it's time to get checked for everything and anything physical/medical if you haven't already. Early detection is key to survival. It's also a great time to change some less than ideal habits in stress, diet, exercise, lifestyle and so on.

You're not old, you're 40.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I guess this means I'm getting old?
It means that from this day on, days will get shorter, so will weeks, months and mostly years. They start to fly by, without you realizing it's happening.
So, make the most and the best of each day, because if you waste one, it ain't coming back ... ever.

Happy birthday butterknucket.

·
Registered
24,748 Posts
In research studies carried out in the 1970s and 1980s, older adults asked how old they felt, who were in great health, and in a good social and economic situation, generally described themselves as feeling somewhere in their early 40's. If their health was poor, they were alone, depressed, and not in great financial shape, they tended to describe themselves as feeling their age, or even older.

Why early 40's? For those generations, that would be an age when your peak earning years were reached, most of your major life expenditures were out of the way, you were respected by your long-time employer, your health and sex life was still good without pharmacological aid, your kids were mostly grown up and on their own (or at least didn't need tending to). So even if nothing in particular was perfect, it was that point where enough parts of your life had 3.5 or more stars out of 5, that you thought of it is a high watermark.

What people think of as "peak" years may have shifted in the intervening decades as the way we enter into full employment, full solvency, family life, and such changes. But I imagine plenty of folks still think of their early 40s as a pretty decent time in their lives, when everything was ripe, and nothing had gone bad.

So welcome to it.

·
Registered
24,748 Posts
It means that from this day on, days will get shorter, so will weeks, months and mostly years. They start to fly by, without you realizing it's happening.
So, make the most and the best of each day, because if you waste one, it ain't coming back ... ever.
On an old PBS Nova special on aging and memory, former B-level celebrity Kitty Carlisle ( Kitty Carlisle - Wikipedia ) quoted her grandmother, who said "Honey, when you get to be my age, it's breakfast every 15 minutes."

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
good for you i say! i almost didnt make 40. lots of my close friends didn't make 40, or go far past it. but you made it, and from here you will begin to taste a flavor of life likely hidden from you previously. enjoy it, and welcome.

In research studies ....
one of your better posts, imo. well put, and spot-on

1 - 20 of 41 Posts