The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't there used to be a feature whereby one could chose to not see certain threads or forums? It seems like it disappeared or I'm just too dumb to remember how to do it.

·
Premium Member
17,177 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing that feature.
However, you can place any forumite on an "ignore" list and you will not see any of their posts.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Admin could probably add a line in one's 'alert preferences' of their profile page where you could add 'trigger words' so as not to have those threads/posts show up on your screen?

How about a 'safe space' forum? lol

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
Admin could probably add a line in one's 'alert preferences' of their profile page where you could add 'trigger words' so as not to have those threads/posts show up on your screen?

How about a 'safe space' forum? lol
I like the idea of ignore threads just to clear up clutter because I browse by new posts. There's posts I could just not have show up, or even sub forums in don't use which are included in 'new posts'.

But I , am also not sure why 'safe space' comments always have to be thrown out somewhere in these posts. This isn't an unreasonable feature inquiry, the person making it doesn't need to be insulted over it. The only purpose of 'safe space' comments is to say some of us are spineless. If it's a joke, great, but it's thrown out in malice all the time on here.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I like the idea of ignore threads just to clear up clutter because I browse by new posts. There's posts I could just not have show up, or even sub forums in don't use which are included in 'new posts'.

But I , am also not sure why 'safe space' comments always have to be thrown out somewhere in these posts. This isn't an unreasonable feature inquiry, the person making it doesn't need to be insulted over it. The only purpose of 'safe space' comments is to say some of us are spineless. If it's a joke, great, but it's thrown out in malice all the time on here.
With comments like that I tend to judge them based on the user posting them. In this case, being @laristotle, I assume it was made in a joking way.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
With comments like that I tend to judge them based on the user posting them. In this case, being @laristotle, I assume it was made in a joking way.
I would guess so to, it's just a comment thrown out a lot though. Maybe I am just lacking humour, but it seems like a joke that's worn thin mainly because for some members it's meant as an insult, not a joke.

If this is a case of someone wanting to limit offensive content, then it's still a completely valid feature request that would be helpful to some people.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Even if the Open Mic could be separated from the rest...

I think I have been missing some good stuff while skimming past all the bullshit (of which I have contributed my share!).

I could definitely "swear off" the non-guitar threads for a while at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
I assume most people here browse by "New Posts"?

I don't see anything in the current settings. I know I have seen this feature before though on other forums in my account preferences. I think I also remember that getting software updates or new features added here has been like pulling teeth.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
In all fairness to @torndownunit though, there ARE many people who post ignorant, nasty, mean spirited comments followed by an lol like that’s a free pass. (Not to suggest yours was a comment like that).

At first my thoughts about thread ignore was to declutter but after giving it more thought, there was one thread I can recall that even seeing the title in new posts dug up a lot of painful memories for me. For a weeks it seemed as though every time I checked new posts, there it was. It would have been REALLY nice to be able to sweep that one under the rug.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It is what it is. If it is really upsetting you, you can push for more moderation directly to management via PM or you have the option to not use the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
How about we fix the existing issues before we go changing everything

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
It is what it is. If it is really upsetting you, you can push for more moderation directly to management via PM or you have the option to not use the forum.
I didn’t report it or request any action because it didn’t violate any rules that I know of and it wasn’t inherently offensive or anything. It was just a thread on a subject, that for most with no personal experience, would seem like a reasonable topic.

I’m purposely not mentioning the thread because I believe it may have value for some but for me, it just brings feelings to the surface which I would prefer to try to not think about. If I pointed out the thread and explained my experience and the effect it continues to have upon me you would understand (in a vague sense) but I don’t want to cast a negative light on the thread or it’s OP.

It would just be nice to be able to not see threads if there was a reason you didn’t want to, regardless of what reason that may be. It would be a nice option is all.

Carry on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts