The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

If you want a Klon KTR...

7K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  tomee2 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Actually that page is a few months or more old. Hope they're still in stock. I picked one up too just to see what the fuss was about. Wow what an eye opener! Here's my experience:

As a lead player who had the role thrust upon me, my method of cutting through the mix was to switch to the bridge pickup, and hit a boost. But I found there's no need to do either with the Klon KTR. The mid range focus takes care of cutting through the mix. The volume knob takes care of whatever boost you want. It has become a terrific new tool in my toolkit of sound. Can't imagine giving it up.

#6 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Well according to this review I guess they found the KTR and original Centaur were identical in tone. The KTR being much more pedal board friendly and offering true by pass makes it more useable for gigging.

Legendary Tones - Klon Centaur vs. Klon KTR
Bill is likely the best judge of the tone and if any one knows Bill, there is no chance he would release anything that was not perfect to his ears. The only real difference ot my ears is that you can turn the Treble control up a little higher on the KTR than the Centaur (say 10-15% more). It actually makes the pedal a bit more versatile for my own uses since you can put it in front of a non-master marshall and completely obliterate the input with a bit more treble laden boost.

#15 ·
Anyone watch the Klon Bill Finnegan update on YT last night? Only thing it left me wondering was where would we actually get one of these new Klon KTR's up here in Canada? Anyone know? It looks like Axeandyoushall receive no longer have Klon listed as a brand they sell... I definitely want one someday but I wont be paying inflated Reverb prices for one.. any idea where to look?

#17 ·
Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.. Complete insanity though, I was thinking that people could put whatever price they want on it but I doubt anyone would actually pay that.. then a couple weeks ago I saw a KTR popup on Calgary Kijiji for $800 and the ad was gone in hours, I guess that could be considered a good deal somehow lol

#23 ·
I've watched the Klon Bill Finnegan update on YT yesterday. There was 20 klon Ktr on reverb yesterday and now there is 15. All of them are now more than 1000$. I still have mine and it still brand new lol. Now people will say "klon ktr version 2 don't sound as good as the first version" just like they did with the centaur

#33 ·
Weren't the KTR's made for him by JRAD? And from what I recall (And I may be wrong here) Isn't an Archer Ikon closer to the original Centaur in terms of diodes and circuit than an actual KTR?
I do find it funny that people are trying to force the idea that KTR's are somehow more valuable than anything else by jacking the prices up. It's like trying to get 59 Les Paul prices for a 59 reissue.

#34 ·
Bill is, for want of a better word, picky. So I doubt he's arranging for someone else to crank out fully assembled KTRs in the thousands. Of course, at this time in pedal history, and indeed manufacturing history, "made" is a term that requires qualification. He's clearly using Hammond enclosures rather than sandcasting the original style of Klon boxes, and hopefuly he's not wasting his time silk-screening the disclaimer on the top of the box. To the best of my knowledge, he's not using surface-mount anything (although more and more components are no longer available in thru-hole form, only surface-mount) so that likely implies he's making them himself rather than outsourcing wave-soldering (although who makes their own PCBs these days, when high-quality silkscreened boards can be ordered inexpensively?). And if he's assembling them himself, then that results in backlogs, wait times, and ultimately inflated resale prices for those lacking patience.

#37 ·
Between ivermectin, housing prices, conspiracy theories, and pedal hype, the internet has not been our best ally.

Once upon a time, you could flip through a copy of Guitar Player or Guitar World at the newsstand (just try finding one of those, now), read a review of a pedal (until someone angrily declared "This isn't a library! If you wanna read it, buy it."), maybe try one out in a music store (when they arrived 4 months later), and if you liked it, pay MSRP or less.

Now, a builder will send out pedals for review to a dozen infuencers, ask them not to post anything until such and such a date, and at the appointed time, we become inundated with demo videos praising the product, creating the sort of hype that makes us feel like our lives would be a waste without it; all before it ever shows up in stores or gets reviewed in a magazine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.