The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking to High/Deaf about this and thought "This would make a good thread!" because there is no right or wrong answer here and nobody can say otherwise but feel free to say what you love about their work. As long as it's your favourite and it inspires you, it is the correct answer no matter what it is. Anyone who disagrees with any post here is just being a douche. Please post a video (if available) and this thread should turn fifty shades of epic! It's just whoever really inspired you to become an electric axeman.

For me, it's David Gilmour and his best work is the live version of the Comfortably Numb solo from The Wall. When I first saw this years ago, it literally moved me to tears because of the emotion put into it:
If I've posted this in the wrong section, please forgive me and move it. I put it in Electric Guitar because it's only really about electric guitarists.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Just one???? Yikes.

Well, today, maybe the young guy (Matteo, I think his name is) in this recent thread. I love his technique and the fun they're having.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/damn-kids.187481/

But tomorrow it might be back to Jimmy. Or Jimi. Or Steve or Steve (Howe and Morse).Or Brian or Brian (May and Setzer). It's a big damn world out there ........

They're can't be only one!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just one???? Yikes.

Well, today, maybe the young guy (Matteo, I think his name is) in this recent thread. I love his technique and the fun they're having.

But tomorrow it might be back to Jimmy. Or Jimi. Or Steve or Steve (Howe and Morse).

That's awesome! For me though, there was just one. There are so many greats but only one made me want to pick up a guitar. You're fortunate to have so many. :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
For me it would be Jim Campilongo. Superb player with great songwriting . I really like all his albums.... Orange is a great one and Blues for Roy is a great listen/intro to Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
The first guitarist to really inspire me was probably David Lindley. It wasn't so much his playing as his approach. I actually discovered him through an interview with Guitar Player magazine many, many years ago and thought, "I have to listen to this guy". He never seemed to fit the stereotype, just did his own thing with cheapo guitars and an open mind.

This video doesn't showcase his skills, but it does exemplify his approach:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My inspiration was Tony Iommi
It wasn't too difficult to learn Sabbath when I was twelve.

I still love Black Sabbath and Iommi's amazing.
HArd.... Peter Green Station Man
He really was vital to Fleetwood Mac having their own sound.
For me it would be Jim Campilongo. Superb player with great songwriting . I really like all his albums.... Orange is a great one and Blues for Roy is a great listen/intro to Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't heard of him but I'll definitely check him out. I love blues guitar.
Particularly from 5:15 to end.

Jimmy Page, I don't think anything more needs to be said. :D
The first guitarist to really inspire me was probably David Lindley. It wasn't so much his playing as his approach. I actually discovered him through an interview with Guitar Player magazine many, many years ago and thought, "I have to listen to this guy". He never seemed to fit the stereotype, just did his own thing with cheapo guitars and an open mind.

This video doesn't showcase his skills, but it does exemplify his approach:
That unique approach makes him special. He would be one of the few pro guitarists that relies completely on his ability than his gear which is a rare thing indeed. I think that's damn cool! :D

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Here's one most folks have never heard of. Its my favorite guitar solo of all time. It shows Al Dimeola is not just about the speed.
If you just want to listen to the solo, it starts at 2:40.
The whole album is amazing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Gee ! I am retired... and your choices so far appear older than my teens... 8-/

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well wasn't it its CAGE in the back right corner ?
Got his mask off ?!
lol !!!

Just one???? Yikes.

But tomorrow it might be back to Jimmy. Or Jimi. Or Steve or Steve (Howe and Morse).Or Brian or Brian (May and Setzer). It's a big damn world out there ........

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
One guy that I love because he can play interesting things that also have amazing tone is Colin Cripps. I'm sure there's lots of great stuff by him that I still haven't even heard yet, but I loved listening to Aurora by Crash Vegas wishing I could come up with cool stuff like that.

There are better examples that I can't find online, but one song he plays on that sticks out to me is Jet Trash by Junkhouse. I love the tone and all the filler riffs.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts