The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
WOW Andrei!!

I would have thought you were going to write Scott Henderson...

I thought Mr. Benson might be a bit too "smooth" for you (at times)

I enjoy his playing.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW Andrei!!

I would have thought you were going to write Scott Henderson...

I thought Mr. Benson might be a bit too "smooth" for you (at times)

I enjoy his playing.
You know me well Dave! Scott is great and he's my favourite guitarrista but Benson is better, his level of playing only comes from such an amount of practice that it should be called sacrifice, and I quote for accuracy:
sacrifice (săkˈrə-fīsˌ)
n.
The act of offering something to a deity in propitiation or homage, especially the ritual slaughter of an animal or a person.
n.
A victim offered in this way.
n.
Forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Well, there's this guy...

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
I had the privilege of seeing Benson at a club in MOntreal in '75 or so, shortly before "Breezin'" came out. Although I seem to recall him singing "Masquerade", and playing the title track. Great player, great show.

As for virtuosos of the electric, though, I have to tip my hat in the direction of 4 men: Beck, Govan, Gatton, and Herring. All of these fellows consistently surprise me with their ability to pull not only rabbits, but entire rhinocerii, out of their guitar hat. It's a simple definition, but for me a "virtuoso" is someone who makes me shake my head and say "Wait, how the hell did he DO that?".

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
"Who is in your opinion the most badass virtuoso of the electric guitar?" I would probably answer George Benson a 95% of the times.
Who's yours?
I appreciate George's skill too. He doesn't play my style of music but his ability on the guitar is outstanding. He is now 74 and is still touring.

Reactions: amagras

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Is this thread for JAZZ only? If not, there's only one answer....

GARY MOORE!! And we can now close the thread..;)

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
Is this thread for JAZZ only? If not, there's only one answer....

G̶A̶R̶Y̶ ̶M̶O̶O̶R̶E̶!̶!̶ STEVE VAI!!! And we can now close the thread..;)
fixed

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Of the guys that I've seen live over the years, I would say Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin and Joe Pass have impressed me the most from a virtuosity standpoint.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I like about Benson's playing is his ability to improvise using chords instead of just scales, that is something I haven't seen in many of the other virtuosos mentioned here (and I agree with all of the names mentioned, except for Willie Nelson of course, he's beyond virtuosity )

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
What I like about Benson's playing is his ability to improvise using chords instead of just scales, that is something I haven't seen in many of the other virtuosos mentioned here (and I agree with all of the names mentioned, except for Willie Nelson of course, he's beyond virtuosity )
There are some good new guitarists incoming that might appeal to you.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
the best imo? it changes every few hours for me!
but since other folks mentioned george benson, i will tell you a story.
i was about 14, and i was crankin sabbath or who knows what in the room i shared with my brother when he was home from college. he came in one afternoon and he said , they're cool and all, but listen to this album, and tell me if you like it at all. he pulled out "weekend in la" . when i heard the song below, i was blown the eff away! after that i was kinda hooked. yeah, my brother turned my music upside down many times. i need to call him and say thank you for that, now that i think of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts