The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

It's looking more and more like my new axe is going to be a Gibson SG (or that MIJ Epi Elitist clone if I can find it). :DevilGuitar:

If anyone owns either of these two guitars, I'd like to get your impressions on them: tonal possibilities, stock/replaced pups, any neck-related problems, etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had a 63 SG special that I sold in 1970 for $300. It was neck heavy and the p90's on it were Muddy.

Lots of folks love them though.

Also look at a Les Paul Special. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I used to love SGs when I was smaller. They have thin bodies and they dont weigh alot. I've had ones from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. They allow great upper fret access as well. I've had an Epiphone G400 as well, but I didnt think it was very close to the SG at all. It looked like an SG for sure, but an SG it wasnt. If you want a cheap SG, the Faded series are great buys................

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
If you take your time and look around, you may find an Elitist used for around $600. I saw a new one in L&M in Toronto for $850 a couple weeks ago. The faded Gibson SG Classics were $950.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a '84 SG,sweet little guitar but It doesnt get to much time out of the case these day's.When I was younger I loved SG's the thin body light weight and fast neck first attracted me to them.I put a set of P-90's in it and that changed the whole feel of the guitar.I still bring it out from time to time and let it run a little but I seem to have out grown the novelty of small fast guitar's.But IMHO the sg is a great little axe if that's what your into
Aaron

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have an SG and love it. Go play one and see if you like it. That should be the ultimate factor in making up your mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sg

I had an Elisist Epiphone 61 SG. It was nice, had lots of bluesy cleans. Killer overdrive. It had nice hardware and a real thin, slick neck.:DevilGuitar: .

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
SG's are generally not my bag.
But.......if you can get a good one that really speaks to you. There is almost no friendlier guitar on the planet. I've had three rhat were really great. They were two original 61's with PAF's and one Historic series with 57' Classics. All were/are fantastic guitars that played and sounded clear and VERY powerful. But to each his own. I used to hate them, but I have had a new found respect and appreciation of these babies.
Also there are some of the greatest rock tracks of all time graced by the religious tones of this spankable plank.....
"Live at Leeds" The Who...For me some of the greatest SG tones ever
The 1st Santana album and "Abraxas" (Black Magic Woman) Santana
"Sunshine of your Love" and all the tracks on Disraeli Gears (Cream)
"Live at The Fillmore" Allman Brothers (Duane's slide guitar of choice)
"Revolver" The Beatles (George Harrison)
"Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers" the Rolling Stones (Mick Taylor)
Any AC/DC tracks
etc. etc. etc.
Along with these well known six string slingers
Link Wray
Jimi Hendrix (White SG Custom) Live at least if not recorded
Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush)
Rod Price (Foghat)
Mick Box (Uriah heep)
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
again etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's funny... I'm detecting an undercurrent that owning an SG is more of a phase that electric players go through, rather than rely on it as a main (or only) axe.

When I was at Steve's, I tried about $10,000 worth of guitars (I still get weak in the knees when I remember it, LOL). With some guitars, I struggled just to find a comfortable playing position. When I picked up the SG, the only thing I thought about was playing licks and riffs... my hands seemed to know instinctively where to land on it.

Fenders and Gibsons seem to demand different playing styles and tastes. Strats drive me nuts because the pinky of my right hand keep hitting the upper pot (the one next to the bridge pickup).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Voivod said:
It's funny... I'm detecting an undercurrent that owning an SG is more of a phase that electric players go through, rather than rely on it as a main (or only) axe.
That could apply to any guitar depending on the player. Iommi used Strats before he got hooked on SG's. Clapton went the other way. And both have dabbled with various others along the way (Iommi even has an old BC Rich Ironbird kicking around that he used a bit in the mid/late 80's).

Personally I've always liked them, and I love them more & more as time goes on. There's something about an SG that just feels like home to me.

I still have my older Epi G400 - pre-China. The new Chinese ones are...well...horrendous. I had a mid-80's USA SG "Double" (similar the the SG-Z from a couple years ago) for a while but it had a REALLY thin neck. I like the rounder neck, so I sold it a couple of years ago. A custom SG is high on my wish list...and it WILL happen one of these days.

As one of the other posts noted, if you find one you like that's all that really matters. If you don't dig it, move on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SG Special Faded

salut Voivoid tu parles français toi aussi?

I purchased a 2nd hand SG Special faded (2001) in 2004.

Got it from the classified on the web.

For my self it's one of the best guitars I could have got for 780$. Retail was 980$ if I remember correctly.

I sounds better than a Les Paul (more agressive sound, better sustain), it's lighter and well balanced.

Go for it if you can

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well I am really loving my Epi Elitist SG! I had always wanted an SG since the 80's yet for some reason never bought one. This thing is a tone monster and the sustain kinda freaks me out coming from such a thin guitar! Everyone seems to talk alot about the thin neck? I find the neck kind of heavy and wide which I personally like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts