The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which musician(s) would you choose to talk to if you had the opportunity?
He/she (doesn't have to be a guitarist) and can be deceased (save the jokes for later). Language will pose no barrier.

Post as many various musicians as you wish and provide a short comment as to who they are (if it might not be obvious) and why he/she is your choice.

Miles Davis would be one choice for me. I have read several books about him and have many of his CD's. I admire his creative musical genius. Other aspects of his personality, unfortunately, not so much.

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Hard to say. Musicians vary in their degree of articulateness. Sometimes, a person whom you admire for their musical composition or performance, and who can be righteously expressive in that medium, can be a dullard with a vocabulary of maybe 500 words, when off-stage. It turns into one of those blessing/curse choices. "I'd like to meet them, but do I really want to be stuck with that person for an hour?

Personally, I think I'd like to talk to the producers and engineers. Tom Dowd, George Martin, Glyn Johns, Roger Nichols, Arif Mardin, Leonard Chess.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Dave Grohl.
He's close to my age and has played or recorded with damn near everybody I grew up listening to and admiring. i.e. Paul McCartney, John Paul Jones, Mick Jaggar, Tony Iommi, Lemmy just to name a few.
He's living my fantasy life and he seems like a really cool dude you'd enjoy having a beer with!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Never meet your heroes!

I don't think I would be able to talk to most of the guys I admire.

I can't think of anyone [other than friends], no one I wouldn't annoy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm not gonna name who, but I once met one of my heroes -- we have a mutual friend -- and he was very difficult and ecentric to talk to. Friendly, yet he definitely had a (how to describe it?) "wall" around him. Wary of strangers perhaps? Maybe. Keep in mind that I'm aware of how to behave around celebs --- I've had enough backstage time and am very low key.

Granted, I get how some people may not completely enjoy talking to strangers, but it was a very odd experience for me. He did spontaneously show me some pics of the new amps they were going to be using when their tour was starting up in a few weeks but otherwise I really didn't ask many questions --- I just lost the desire. We just kinda stood there for ten minutes making awkward small talk.

It was a very surreal yet strange scene.

Relating this story with others who know him, I've been told that he's difficult to break through to so it wasn't just just me.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
I hate the idea of talking to someone who would rather not talk to me. You guys got to know that they don't want to talk to you, right?

Anyway, If I had to choose, it would probably be Courtney Love. There's just something about that dirty skank.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts