The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Reminds me of their early eighties Roadstar. I tried to pick up a really abused one, that hung forever at a local pawn shop, for way too much coin for the condition. Every time I express interest in one of these hidden gems, it quickly disappears.

The guy who mentored me the most in guitar picked one up in the mid eighties for next to nothing. He played it for the awesome guitar that it was. It was also a pretty similar color with a maple neck.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried one, but I am also interested in trying one.
The premium version is carried by l&m for about 1700 I think but They seem to be out of stock/ haven't gotten stock of them yet.
That seems like a reasonable price. The place my son takes guitar lessons wants to charge me $2500 for one. They'd have to order it in.

The guy who works there bought one himself and said he paid $2500 + tax too. I think he may be full of shit.

When I told him it's too close in pricing to a Danocaster, it doesn't make much sense because a dano will likely play better and certainly hold its value. Ibanez's resale isn't very good, afaik.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
That seems like a reasonable price. The place my son takes guitar lessons wants to charge me $2500 for one. They'd have to order it in.

The guy who works there bought one himself and said he paid $2500 + tax too. I think he may be full of shit.

When I told him it's too close in pricing to a Danocaster, it doesn't make much sense because a dano will likely play better and certainly hold its value. Ibanez's resale isn't very good, afaik.
I think the one you posted a pic of is a prestige one which I think are around the 2500 mark.

Search

·
Premium Member
11,927 Posts
Reminds me of their early eighties Roadstar. I tried to pick up a really abused one, that hung forever at a local pawn shop, for way too much coin for the condition. Every time I express interest in one of these hidden gems, it quickly disappears.

The guy who mentored me the most in guitar picked one up in the mid eighties for next to nothing. He played it for the awesome guitar that it was. It was also a pretty similar color with a maple neck.
A good friend has an early Roadstar which plays and sounds great. Generally, Ibanez makes decent stuff, so this new one might be worth a try. Not sure about price though.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll keep an eye out for som ementioned. I don't come across these often (old or new).

I like the headstock.

I tried an S series and the action was great, but no trem. I want it to dive bomb and stay in tune.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My first guitar was an ibanez roadstar.
It was like this one only blue.
View attachment 199513

Love it.
My only criticism is the thick Poly paint on the bodies. Typically nice to look at but if it chips it is a deep scar that comes off in big chunks.
The pickups are bar magnet single coils and a Humbucker. Sound surprisingly good although a bit microphonic
I may strip the one that I have

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Love it.
My only criticism is the thick Poly paint on the bodies. Typically nice to look at but if it chips it is a deep scar that comes off in big chunks.
The pickups are bar magnet single coils and a Humbucker. Sound surprisingly good although a bit microphonic
I may strip the one that I have
It is long gone for probably 15 years.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That shouldn't matter to him. He keeps his guitars for life (life of the strings, that is). Just kidding, Chuck, some of us enjoy living vicariously through your purchases.
C'mon now...I haven't bought a guitar in ages. I only have one monty, and I'm looking for my second lifer.

It's kinda why I'm going for a Danocaster - I'm likely to hang on to something I've custom built. It'll even be a unique neck size (from Dan's standard sizes).

The only reason I'm starting to panic about the Dano is that I need a very responsive tremolo (like an EBMM); the previous dano I owned had a very awkward and stiff trem. I'm not sure if I've ever posted myself playing a trem hard...I sound much better than I actually am.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bail on the Danocaster idea?
I'm trying to. @Hammertone has offered to sell me a bunch of the parts I need to beef up my $150 Ernie Ball Sterling that out 'feels' pretty much all my guitars - including the monty. It's just so f'n ugly and it has tuning stability issues.

My dad just informed me that he wants it back, so I foresee a fight in the future.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.