The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I thought maybe this would be the proper forumr for this post*

Just ranting about my new Ibanez SG Tremolo!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this newer/used Ibanez SG Tremolo on Saturday at the Long and McQuade sale here in Brampton. It was the first thing I set my eyes on as I walked in. There it was, just staring at me, and I was staring back thinking to myself {*can I really afford to buy it now, or can I afford to risk passing it on for another day in hopes it will still be available*} . In being the typical male, I caved in a bought it......for a mere $750 tx. So here I am, with my new guitz, daydreaming about being on stage together and putting on a show like no tomorrow. Now, I have this thing about having to tinker with every new purchase of mine, wether it be a car, stereo, a woman, GUITAR!! For some reason I just can't leave well enough alone!! So anyway, I get home and feel the need to polish my new guitz up and treat her to some new strings....OH MY bleeping GOD!! Did I know what kind of nightmare I was getting myself into nooooooooooooo.....This fricken thing was the hardest thing to tune!! I strip all the string off (there were 9's in, in which I tried switching them to 12's) BAD MISTAKE. No matter what I did with it, the bridge kept pulling a 90 degree on me. I would tune the 6th string and work my way up, tune the first and work my way down, and then whammo, bridge is angled at 90 degrees, string snaps!!......Three sets of strings later, i'm pissed, forget this p.o.s, i'm taking this sucker back!! Who in their right minds would sell a bummed guitz for 750 bucks, what a rip off!!....lol, so Monday comes, i'm still angry with my purchase!! I walk in with this p.o.s. and I want myself another guitz of equal value, or my money back!! So I talk to the tech who sold me this guitz, and walk him through my nightmare....He takes a peek into my guitar case, looks at me, and says "are you kidding me? You've never owned an Ibanez SG before?". I said "no! The reason I bought it was to upgrade from the Cort I have at home. " and he says "well I wouldn't have sold it to you if you didn't know anything about the SG". So he explains to me that the gauge of strings i'd put on were way too thick, the bridge had been overly adjusted, and the springs in the back were over flexing!! (I don't know their proper terminology, but I thought I was mechanically inclined enough to adjust this one by myself). In the end, I have the guitz back home, read the owner's manual to a "T", and a fresh new set of 9's (courtesy of Long and McQuade's salesguy), and my baby plays like how I dreamt she would play. The moral of the story here is, if you don't know what you're getting yourself into, ask for help when it's needed! "Jack of all trades, master of none....just don't do it yourself the first time through! "

#2 02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
mandocaster
Stage Hand Join Date: Jan 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhh, the joys of a hardtail guitar.
2001 Fender Hot-Noiselessed Jumbo-fretted MexiStrat
2005 Epiphone ES335 Studio Dot
1992 Fender Jazzcision Frankenbass
1974 Guild D55 Q-stik
1965 Super Reverb
2002 '65 Twin Reverb reissue
2002 Tweaked Fender HRDx
2006 Yorkville YB200 Stack
If anybody sees my Dean Markley.....glue it to the stage

#3 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
david henman
GC Gold Member Join Date: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandocaster
Ahhhhh, the joys of a hardtail guitar.

.......?????????

#4 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
mandocaster
Stage Hand Join Date: Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by david henman

.......?????????

Confused? (filler characters here)
2001 Fender Hot-Noiselessed Jumbo-fretted MexiStrat
2005 Epiphone ES335 Studio Dot
1992 Fender Jazzcision Frankenbass
1974 Guild D55 Q-stik
1965 Super Reverb
2002 '65 Twin Reverb reissue
2002 Tweaked Fender HRDx
2006 Yorkville YB200 Stack
If anybody sees my Dean Markley.....glue it to the stage

#5 02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Xanadu
GC Platinum Member Join Date: Feb 2006

rofl. The same thing happened to me. I bought a used RG with 9s on it. I wanted 10s. It took me hours to tune it, and set it up. Didn't break any strings tho, because I only had the one set.

And BTW, you can puts 10s on it, just need to adjust the spring tension...
Keyboard: Korg M1
Amps: Marshall Valvestate 80, Yorkville XM200

FS/FT: Marshall Valvestate, DOD Ice Box

#6 02-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Rattlesnake
Stage Hand Join Date: Jul 2006

Dat's It!!

Thanks X! It certainly helps to know I can but a thicker gauge on there, cause with my strumming, them strings wont last long either!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts