The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@vadsy I sort of expected a return quote like this from you at some point. Yeah, Ibanez, Real American guitars are they not.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
There’s a bit of sameness to the line visually that makes it appear it is one guitar with 40 variations.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I agree with LanceT. These models look very similar to each other and existing Ibanez (esp. the Super Strat) models.
So nothing appears to be dramatically new.
Isn't that very similar to Fender and Gibson offerings? I see pictures all the time where someone owns several models of the same basic guitar with only minor differences. It seems to work with those that have deep pockets or lots of credit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The pickups are the big story for me. For years your options with Ibbys were house branded p/us or a variety of DiMarzios. Now you have all that but also the introduction of Bare Knuckle and Fishman. Fairly cool IMHO. I also like that the Jem just went back to DiMarzio Evolutions. The EVO2s are probably my fave of all time for just about anything but the originals are lovely too. I played the Gravity Storms in a couple guitars and while I loved the more vintage output/voicing it just wasn't the same.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I agree with LanceT. These models look very similar to each other and existing Ibanez (esp. the Super Strat) models.

That said I really like this one:
it looks identical to the ar420 i had, and the specs (according to the article, are the same. seems not like a new model, but a new name for an old guitar. that said, i loved the one i had, i think the pickups are as good as any i ever played, and better than some. well worth the price i paid. i will own another at some point, but there are others on my list i haven't tried yet.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Are they made in the Land of Trump? I was thinking they were cool, and not from the united states of stupid. But if they are made in the land of idiocracy, forgetaboutit.
Given they're a Japanese company, probably not.

They do have a custom shop in LA (pretty sure it's LA) but that's for artist builds as far as I know.

I'm not surprised to see fluence and BKP's in their guitars - they have a metal market and those pickups are hot in the metal market.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another year of superstrats and semi hollows. How about another mini Destroyer or something totally new like a mini V.

No company in any industry will produce something that will not sell so I don't blame Ibanez for all the RG and AR guitars, but it would be nice to see some more pointies. I didn't really like the DT700 or whatever it was a while back. I am sure it plays really nice but to me there were a lack of options. The milky grey burst was weird and string-thru design was kind of ugly. It seems to be the counterpart of the VBT700/V-Blade which had similar asthetic and did play really well. I have a white one and am currently searching for a black one. Those were made in Indonesia. The anniversary model DT more recently was also kind of disappointing, and the price was insane. I'd rather locate a Japanese model from the 1980s with Destroyer II branding.

Something like the DT520 would be really nice but I can't see a whole lot of those selling so I doubt something like that will be in a catalog again any time soon.

It seems like there were about a dozen different Xiphos models in a relatively short span of time, with not much else of anything within what had become their X Series line. In the 1980s they had a vast array of Destroyer/star-shaped DT models in the X Series. Recently it seems that only the Xiphos is part of that, and I think the higher end Xiphos models are an even different series so it is kind of confusing.

In a couple of weeks I am going to pick up a 1975 Rocket Roll (2387CT) which I have had on layaway since Halloween. I am not even worthy of owning one of those but I have been saving up for a couple of months and can't wait to bring it home.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

That said I really like this one:
I have 6 Artist(AR) series guitars.

All I play now

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Reactions: djmarcelca
1 - 20 of 20 Posts