The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what is with websites that use white text on a black background? Am I the only one that feels like he's been staring directly at the sun after spending 30-seconds reading posts at My Les Paul of the Les Paul Forum? After I leave one of those sites my vision is like that of a coal miner coming off a 16-hour double in mid-July.

I know this all sounds like "old man talk", but I can't be alone. Is there a reason for light text on a black background other than aesthetics?

[PUSHES CHAIR BACK FROM COMPUTER/SHAKES FIST AT SKY]

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think in a low light setting it's supposed to be easier on the eyes.

Seems to be geared toward the basement bedroom dwelling teenagers who make up the majority of internet traffic these days. There is usually an option or setting somewhere to make it 'normal'.. I can't speak for the site you're referring to but many give you the option.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I think in a low light setting it's supposed to be easier on the eyes.

Seems to be geared toward the basement bedroom dwelling teenagers who make up the majority of internet traffic these days. There is usually an option or setting somewhere to make it 'normal'.. I can't speak for the site you're referring to but many give you the option.
Teenagers can't afford the stuff on those sites...
Mainly populated by old dudes and Joe Bonermassa

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I have this forum and TGP set to "dark", I prefer it.
I didn't notice this forum can be set to 'dark' (while it's fairly obvious on TGP). How do you do it on GC?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
In some browsers you can override website colours for individual websites. Often this is under Accessibility.

Which browser and operating system are you using?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In some browsers you can override website colours for individual websites. Often this is under Accessibility.

Which browser and operating system are you using?
Hi there, I use Chrome and Safari. I did see Sulphur’s post about changing the colours on this site (I didn’t even know that was possible) but there doesn’t seem to be an option on the LP Forum or MLP.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have those on my Mac, they should be similar on the PC.

In Chrome you can add extensions called High Contrast and Color Enhancer. Go to settings, advanced, accessibility, add accessibility features.

In Safari you can view the page in reading mode, if the page is compatible. This page, for example, is not. If it was, on the left side of the address bar there would be an icon of four lines. You can change the background colour in reading mode.

You can try using a user style sheet. Here's a style sheet to do black on white.

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

To use the style sheet in Chrome you can add an extension called User CSS from the Chrome Web Store. I'm not sure how that works, though.

In Safari, save the file somewhere, go to settings, advanced, style sheet, other and choose the file. Remember it will change all the websites you visit, so turn it off when you want it off.

This is what this page looks like using that style sheet.

FYI, this is the text in that css file. It lists a bunch of html element types, then gives them properties, black text, white background, no background image. The word important overrides what any webpage you visit wants to do.

I put it together from information on these two webpages.
Stylesheets for low vision
Injecting Styles

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I use the dark background on this site and wonder why anyone would want to use the light background. My Kobo has the same option for reading books so I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion. I believe if you tried the black, you'd never go back.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts