The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the sound of a strat, the A and E strings sound so good for rhythm and bite type of playing. Contrary to what others write, I find strats easy to play... I play in the style of Johnny Marr, Graham Coxon, Bernard Butler so nothing too technical or virtuouso. I like Fruciante's sound too. Trouble is I hate the look of a strat... what are my options?

is it possible to get that tone and feel out of other styles? A telecaster with strat pickups and a strat neck??? I'd love to have a Sheraton ii body that could sound/play like that? can I move the tail to lengthen the scale? put on a jazzmaster or strat neck? Build a semi-hollowbody (or a more solid shape to look like one) that I can tailor to whatever neck? I'd also love to have a strat style tremolo arm on the 335 as well.

any thoughts on this would help. thanks

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Sounds like you gotta accept the look and buckle down, to be honest.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,102 Posts
Knaggs severn

·
Registered
129 Posts
At one point, Grassroots (ESP) made a LP style body with a Floyd and SSS pickups. I know where there's one, but I don't remember the price, nor do I know how it'd get to you.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Warmoth Partscaster.

They'll put any configuration of pickups in any of their bodies.
Even the "Gibson style" thats not gibson.

Their les paul style is called regal
PRS style is called VIP
Their wolfgang is called Velosity.

Pick a body, chose 3 single coils, Slap a strat neck on it.
A little soldering, and you're in business.

A strat that's not a strat.

Off the shelf: Ibanez Talman with 3 singles

Electric Guitar Talman - TM330M | Ibanez guitars

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I can get pretty convincing Strat sounds out of my Epiphone Nighthawk. It has the push-pull control that also helps. The only problem is the volume tends to go down a little when you have the control pulled out.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
???

I think the list of guitars that are not a Strat but configured like one is endless. What the OP needs to do is tell us what he wants the guitar to look like, not what he doesn't want it to look like. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I played a LE Fender American Standard Telecaster Rosewood Neck on the weekend and it sounded great. The neck pup sounded like a Strat and I believe they are Custom Shop pups. - The tele has a body contour reminiscent of a S style guitar. Decent price, came very close to buying it. They are not easy to find and sell quickly (apparently).

IMG_6860.JPG

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I played a LE Fender American Standard Telecaster Rosewood Neck on the weekend and it sounded great. The neck pup sounded like a Strat and I believe they are Custom Shop pups. - The tele has a body contour reminiscent of a S style guitar. Decent price, came very close to buying it. They are not easy to find and sell quickly (apparently).

View attachment 62321

That's a great looking tele ! I'm usually a maple fretboard guy but something about this one draws me to it .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts