The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. My roof is possessed by a demon and I will soon be plunging 13 feet to my death.

Has anyone else re-shingled their own roof? That is 60 years old and has two layers of shingles on it to be scraped off inch by inch???
I'm telling you, there is something weird going on with this bastard. I think it's the chimney.

P

·
0 Posts
Scrape them all off with a shovel. Check for rotten or punky boards/sheets. Cover with fire and ice. Shingle.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
You are right about the chimney that’s usually where evil lurks and never turn your back on it. Some people put garlic around the chimney when they are working on the roof but usually I just never let that bastard out of my sight when I’m on the roof. Can’t be too careful and garlic ain’t like it used to be.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Whether or not you NEED ice and water shield (don't know wtf fire and ice is) on the entire roof is dependent on many factors. It's far too expensive to just assume you need it on the entire roof instead of JUST a 3 foot strip around all roof edges (maybe drip edge as well), under valleys and around problem areas like chimneys/skylights.

Stripping more than one layer is a pita but it MUST be done. Code only allows for 2 layers max. I always advise customers to strip the roof every time because you're not really saving money by not stripping it. You're only deferring payment for 20 years because it'll cost you more than twice as much next time. Plus you want to get a look at the wood underneath every 20 years and replace any questionable areas. There's also cosmetics. The new roof will only look as good as the surface it's put on. In addition, after stripping the roof and replacing any questionable patches, you'll want to remove all old roofing nails etc. and go around and tighten all other nails holding the roof surface (plywood or whatever) on. They loosen over time and can damage your new shingles if poking up.

Sweep often while stripping the roof. The pebbles from the old shingles can be slippery.

Work from the farthest area from the ladders/dumpster to the closest. No need reshingling an area only to travel across it over and over while doing another area. When an area is done try to stay off of it as much as possible.

Don't forget to clean and tighten your eaves troughs after stripping an area. Get all that debris out of there while the overhang of the shingles is out of the way.

My last piece of advice...ignore the people that give advice even though they only have less than a basic understanding of roofing.

Yeah Player99, I mean you. Wasn't it you who, in a previous thread suggested SCREWING down shingles, removing the screws, sealing the holes and then rescrewing? I realize you're trying to help but bad/uninformed advice can often cause more problems than it solves.

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah Player99, I mean you. Wasn't it you who, in a previous thread suggested SCREWING down shingles, removing the screws, sealing the holes and then rescrewing? I realize you're trying to help but bad/uninformed advice can often cause more problems than it solves.
God never use a screw, cause when the house shifts it will tear the roof in half. You are right. Only Mensa roofers have the incredible intellect to put shingles on a roof. My bad.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Typical. Roofers, the dumbest of the dumb? Yet they know many things you don't. For instance, the difference between looser and loser. Oh, and let's not forget using roofing nails for...yeah, roofing.

We should both stick to what were good at. Me, offering educated advice in areas that I actually have some experience in and knowledge about. You, well when we figure out what you're actually good at...that.

That being said. I think I'll just put you on ignore. I might be inclined to not bother if you EVER posted ANYTHING of value.

P

·
0 Posts
Typical. Roofers, the dumbest of the dumb? Yet they know many things you don't. For instance, the difference between looser and loser. Oh, and let's not forget using roofing nails for...yeah, roofing.

We should both stick to what were good at. Me, offering educated advice in areas that I actually have some experience in and knowledge about. You, well when we figure out what you're actually good at...that.

That being said. I think I'll just put you on ignore. I might be inclined to not bother if you EVER posted ANYTHING of value.
Nothing hurts me more than being ignored. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I don't know about all the technical stuff. But damn, these old nails are sure hard to pull out with my tiny Estwing. There are lots of them!!!!
I figure I sure don't want to do this again in 20 years, so I am not using nails. I am using a small torch and melting each shingle together.

P

·
0 Posts
Gaslighting.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Don't be the guy that tied his safety rope to his car while working on the other side of the roof. Only to have his wife drive off.......

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
God, I hate roofing. Besides a growing mortal fear of heights, my joints can't take it.

I did some roofing when I was younger and realized it takes a special kind of personality, and fitness.

Hire it out. There are good roofers everywhere.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
God, I hate roofing. Besides a growing mortal fear of heights, my joints can't take it.

I did some roofing when I was younger and realized it takes a special kind of personality, and fitness.

Hire it out. There are good roofers everywhere.
Yeah totally. Maaaaaaybe Do a quick search for my “Ottawa hack jobs” thread before you tell him to outsource with confidence

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Jim, feel free to pm me with any questions. I’ve been pretending I know what I’m doing for so long that I guess I kinda do by now

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
God never use a screw, cause when the house shifts it will tear the roof in half. You are right. Only Mensa roofers have the incredible intellect to put shingles on a roof. My bad.
if you can find screws with a nice big flat head on them (like a nail) so the shingle doesn't rip right through them, knock yourself out. but this level of adhesion probably offers little value.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts