The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

So, I've always been a one-amp guy. Right now I have a Rectoverb 25 that works perfectly for me. I don't play metal or heavy rock music, but the cleans and light crunch tones are really great.

But I've been wondering about Tweed Deluxe a lot lately. I love what people can do with them, and have come to realize that my base tone tends to gravitate towards Tweed 'tone'.

So I want to go one step further and get myself a second amp, for the first time ever!

I now live in a house, with a basement dedicated to music, so I can push tube amps a little harder at home, and not only at rehearsal/gigs. I'd still love an amp that is somewhat manageable in a home studio environment.

So I'm sending a call to you guys (especially @StevieMac who lives not too far from my place and is a vintage Fender aficionado).

I won't buy it right away, probably at some point next year (putting some $$ aside for it). The one that seems to check all the boxes so far is the Tungsten Crema Wheat, but I was wondering if there were some good canadian builders out there. $1800 USD seems like a lot of money for such a simple design.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Hi gang,

So, I've always been a one-amp guy. Right now I have a Rectoverb 25 that works perfectly for me. I don't play metal or heavy rock music, but the cleans and light crunch tones are really great.

But I've been wondering about Tweed Deluxe a lot lately. I love what people can do with them, and have come to realize that my base tone tends to gravitate towards Tweed 'tone'.

So I want to go one step further and get myself a second amp, for the first time ever!

I now live in a house, with a basement dedicated to music, so I can push tube amps a little harder at home, and not only at rehearsal/gigs. I'd still love an amp that is somewhat manageable in a home studio environment.

So I'm sending a call to you guys (especially @StevieMac who lives not too far from my place and is a vintage Fender aficionado).

I won't buy it right away, probably at some point next year (putting some $$ aside for it). The one that seems to check all the boxes so far is the Tungsten Crema Wheat, but I was wondering if there were some good canadian builders out there. $1800 USD seems like a lot of money for such a simple design.

Thanks!
If you're trying to save some bucks, it may be better to patiently wait for one to come up for sale. I've seen a few 5E3 clones come up here over the years. Let the guy that buys new take the hit :)

Reactions: Judas68fr

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I have a Clark Amps Beaufort tweed deluxe. Shoot me a message if/when you're ready to buy. You never know. I usually travel to Kingston every May Mother's Day weekend for a Gretsch event.

You could also try Dr Dan Amps on the east coast. He seems to be all about Marshalls, but when I chatted a bit via Messenger, he can and has done pretty much any Fender circuit.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I have a Clark Amps Beaufort tweed deluxe. Shoot me a message if/when you're ready to buy. You never know. I usually travel to Kingston every May Mother's Day weekend for a Gretsch event.

You could also try Dr Dan Amps on the east coast. He seems to be all about Marshalls, but when I chatted a bit via Messenger, he can and has done pretty much any Fender circuit.
Dad does a great job on Tweed Fender circuits.

You can usually find quality used clones for around a grand. A 5E3 is $500+ in parts alone.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
A good 5E3 clone comes pretty darn close to an original, tone wise. The clone does not hold much resale value. An original will. If you plan to gig it and play out, go clone.
If you plan to keep it at home and record, the original starts to become a little more attractive. $1800 USD for a Tungsten is, in my opinion pretty high. For what it is.
I do understand that not everyone can build an amp, nor have the interest, space, tools etc. Parts prices keep going up. Skilled labor ain't cheap. If I were you, I would keep an eye out for a good used, well built 5E3 clone. I think someone here may have one for sale that I built for them.

@dgreen

·
Premium Member
17,047 Posts
Just a thought.

There are exellent build your own kits out there.

I built a nice 5e3 a few years ago. I’m not sure I saved much money but I used upgraded trannies and had a beautiful custom cabinet (and a matching extension cabinet) made.

Sounds exactly like a Fender Tweed to me.

FF94E5AA-658A-44B8-AC1A-32A0ED9CB1C4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
5E3 builds, of varying quality, show up here with some frequency. In the past, I've had some luck on Reverb & even feebay by simply searching "clone" in the Amps category. You might be surprised at what hobbyist builders often let them go for.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
I have a Moretto clone that i bought here a few months ago and really like it. I have yet to really put it through its paces at higher volumes but at a lower volume it delivers a nice clean sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts