The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep finding PRS' that somehow manage to invade my house! MJF$# :D

I picked up a '13 PRS 408 from Fred (Chitmo) yesterday on trade, and figured I'd post up a family pic. From left to right is my '07 PRS SC245, the 408, my '12 DGT (the #1) and my '08 DGT (with 57/08s installed). I'd get better pics but the snow and low lighting makes it difficult. Nevertheless, enjoy! I know I am. The 408 is very cool with its dual coil splits (that's what the two small switches are for, one per pickup) and it's cool to have one with birds in among all the moons. I'm still adjusting to the Pattern Thin neck, but I'm sure it'll play nicely with the others.

W.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Congrats. I avoid 408's purely because I can't do a pickup swap if I want to. Otherwise awesome guitars, as usual.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Great harem of PRS' - the goldtop DGT stands out for me. PRS guitars are not simply fancy looking but well built and great sounding guitars. Given the current resale on PRS' (excluding the US/CDN $ cross rate), good time to accumulate a few more.

I need to try a more recent Singlecut. I had one 13-14 years ago and was not impressed - I tried a few more in a few shops and felt the same but my understanding is the newer models with the newish line of pickups (57/08, etc) sound great

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I picked up a McCarty off of Fred a few months ago and noticed that 408, in a big way.
I might've landed that if I hadn't snagged a CE22 shortly after the McCarty.

Congrats on that beauty!

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Alex, guy selling a singlecut in TO for $2k but he had it listed in London at $1500. Dunno if it's still up.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Another PS build?

I have another PRS coming in also... But its not a core...

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up a McCarty off of Fred a few months ago and noticed that 408, in a big way.
I might've landed that if I hadn't snagged a CE22 shortly after the McCarty.

Congrats on that beauty!
You got that guitar?! I miss it a fair bit, I traded it to Fred, who had originally traded it to me. That McCarty is my second favourite PRS I've ever owned.

W.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Congrats. I avoid 408's purely because I can't do a pickup swap if I want to. Otherwise awesome guitars, as usual.
I can't imagine wanting to swap out those pickups. They're really sweet and since the switches are coil taps they'd be pretty tough to truly replace if you like the idea of switching to single coil without losing volume. I would probably have bought one if I didn't fall in love with a Custom 22 with the 57/08 pickups (which are also incredible IMO).

I too can't really see the problem other than deciding which one(s) to take to the gig.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Alex, I'm sure it will be incredible!

Baconator, I like to tweak things if I need to (which is often apparently). While I don't doubt the awesomeness of 408 pickups, you're stuck with them. I have enjoyed the 5*/0* series pickups, and I'm curious about these 2016 versions.

I only played a 408 briefly, and unplugged. I believe there's been one sitting at TGS for at least a year, so it's been discounted a bit.

I won't be buying another core model (new or used) for quite some time, I imagine. That's OK though, because I'll be too busy gigging the crap out of my custom 22!

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're quite comfortable to rest downstairs in the basement area, probably something to do with the nice temperature.

W.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Well i was just joshing ya, awesome collection...I'm sure you could fit one more. Couch is nice too

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's true that PRS are well built, so it's quite a safe bet to upgrade them.
You could by a mid-range guit and upgrade it to the next level. Although, it's not necessarily cheaper if you look too big ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts