The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Some good ones in there. They would also have been funny if skinny people did them. Not all of them were a result of the person being overweight.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I got to the third person and quit watching. Why I started, I don't really know. I knew what I was going to see. I find these videos to be extremely humiliating for these people and absolutely disgraceful for somebody to create the video to begin with. ( not videos of people having accidents but a compilation of overweight people for the sole purpose of making fun of them) I am so sick and tired of people making fun of others shortcomings or taking joy at the misery of others.

There are human beings inside those bodies, most of them much more likely than not to be unhappy with themselves. Everybody has a story.

This world needs to stop body shaming and not sharing this kind of crap is a good start.

·
Administrator
17,335 Posts
I got to the third person and quit watching. Why I started, I don't really know. I knew what I was going to see. I find these videos to be extremely humiliating for these people and absolutely disgraceful for somebody to create the video to begin with. ( not videos of people having accidents but a compilation of overweight people for the sole purpose of making fun of them) I am so sick and tired of people making fun of others shortcomings or taking joy at the misery of others.

There are human beings inside those bodies, most of them much more likely than not to be unhappy with themselves. Everybody has a story.

This world needs to stop body shaming and not sharing this kind of crap is a good start.
I maintain that social media does more harm than good.

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Watching those rich morons (in that other string) wreck their hyper-cars was funny. I do take pleasure in some self-imolation. But in this case, some of those people probably actually hurt themselves (I only watched the first two and then quit). Probably not much of a laughing matter a day or two later. IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
So what if they hurt themselves, they put themselves in that position! I grew up skateboarding, snowboarding and biking in the summers. There were many falls.... friends reveled in my misery, so why shouldnt I in theirs? Or someboady else's? skate, snow or bike vids hell even the old rock em sock em hockey vids there is no denying some of those guys got hurt but the bloopers and outtakes were some of the best parts of the vids. I didnt find the OP vid super funny but it was somewhat entertaining.

·
Banned
12,928 Posts
boo - hoo to all the whiners. shall i bring you guys a ladder to get you safely down from that high horse? seriously, with all the bullshit happening in the world, and you guys are gonna pick THIS as your cause? way to make a difference!

·
Premium Member
26,807 Posts
There are two traditions in British comedy/humour. One tradition is that of the stiff upper lip: trying to maintain decorum, civility, and diplomacy in the face of incredible odds. It runs through so many thing, whether Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, Cook & Moore, Flanders & Swann, Three Men in a Boat, and even Ali G/Borat. We see that influence in much Canadian and American humour as well. Bob Newhart illustrates that well, IMHO, as does Pee Wee Herman declaring "I meant to do that". All about people trying to be "proper" when the temptation is to not be, and let one's irritation spill over, or when propriety has been negated in some way.

The other tradition is the Benny Hill and Beano tradition. brutality, guys in drag, knickers, big boobs, people falling down or getting hit. I didn't look at the video, but I gather it is reflective of the 2nd tradition.

·
Administrator
17,335 Posts
The other tradition is the Benny Hill and Beano tradition. brutality, guys in drag, knickers, big boobs, people falling down or getting hit. I didn't look at the video, but I gather it is reflective of the 2nd tradition.
More like some of the "Jackass" movies, which I haven't seen. Really just stupid people doing stupid things, the only difference here is someone took the time to put together clips of fat stupid people.

While slapstick "can" be funny, in small doses, it can also get very boring very quickly, at least for me.

I'll take "Yes Minister" and "Newhart" any day of the week. That didn't stop me watching Benny Hill mind you :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts