The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to try and record my acoustic guitar using a Roland Duo-Capture (DC) and GarageBand.

I think my connections/hardware settings are OK and my software preferences seem like the computer is "seeing" the DC...but I can't seem to record.

I can hear the mic (albeit rather faintly) through my monitors.

I downloaded a driver from the Roland site (I am using OS 10.11.6 "El Capitan") but I get this message when I quit GarageBand :
error code 25974 was returned by the audio driver
So far, I have not been able to find any specific information regarding this error message.

I know this stuff is complicated, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did it !! I am so pleased!!

Sounds not too bad, IMHO.

I think that my problem was that I had the levels turned down too low as I was concerned about blowing my speakers (and my ears).
I also reloaded the driver and didn't get an error message when I quit GarageBand.

Now I have to learn more about the software.

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Budda ... I fully understand that it isn't likely all that exciting for a recording musician like yourself (not that you indicated that specifically, I'm just sayin')...but it is a big step forward for me. The main challenge is learning how to use the associated gear and the software.

@amagras ....I'm sure that I could use a lot of help and I would progress faster in general if someone could teach me the software and some tricks to make the recordings sound better. I will talk to you sometime for some hints/suggestions after I am more comfortable with recording in general.

I have already learned not to say "Oh shit" AFTER hitting RECORD ...LOL

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
I am just starting to try and record my acoustic guitar using a Roland Duo-Capture (DC) and GarageBand.

I think my connections/hardware settings are OK and my software preferences seem like the computer is "seeing" the DC...but I can't seem to record.

I can hear the mic (albeit rather faintly) through my monitors.

I downloaded a driver from the Roland site (I am using OS 10.11.6 "El Capitan") but I get this message when I quit GarageBand :
error code 25974 was returned by the audio driver
So far, I have not been able to find any specific information regarding this error message.

I know this stuff is complicated, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Where's the link Dave? I would love to listen to you play!

·
Premium Member
11,974 Posts
I haven't had a problem with Garageband, other than a couple of things I couldn't find when first using it. It speaks to my KISS (keep it simple, stupid) approach.

I'm curious, what mic are you using?

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dave, I have Garageband as well and if you need any help send me a message. Looking forward to hearing your recording.
Thanks..much appreciated!

Once I actually make a recording I am proud of, I will go on to the next step of trying to sort out how to post a clip on here. I am not a skilled player, primarily because I don't consistently put the time into it. However, I enjoy all aspects of the hobby very much.

An issue that I didn't totally expect (but I understand) is that I become anxious and fumble (seriously...LOL) as soon as I seen the mic and know that I'm recording. I'm calling it "recording fright" (as in "stage fright")

Can you suggest any specific reading material about Garageband. I am a bit old fashioned with my approach. YouTube is OK, but I'd like something a bit more in-depth.
Edit: all is well...I found a 121 page .pdf.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm curious, what mic are you using?
The mic is GLS Audio ES-58-S. It is a copy of the Shure SM-58
(which I'm "sure" ...pun intended...you had already determined)

Not wishing to tumble down a very deep rabbit hole, but which mic(s) are recommended? (for under $200.00 or so)

My good friend @Hamstrung bought all of this gear a few years ago as part of a recording course he was taking.

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll come by with my inteface and we can record that ES-335 of yours.
I didn't think I needed an interface for electric guitar. The Duo-Capture has a Hi-Z input for that purpose. However, I haven't tried recording my electric guitar as yet.

I don't remember mentioning to you that I sold my Greco to my friend
@starjag recently. His son is learning to play the guitar.

I have an Epi 335 from the first year of production. Ironically, I bought it from a local recording studio.

·
Premium Member
11,974 Posts
The mic is GLS Audio ES-58-S. It is a copy of the Shure SM-58
(which I'm "sure" ...pun intended...you had already determined)

Not wishing to tumble down a very deep rabbit hole, but which mic(s) are recommended? (for under $200.00 or so)
I'm using a Blue Yeti Studio, and an Apex 181. The Blue is more versatile with a variety of pattern options, mute switch, volume output control for the integral headphone jack, and a gain control, therefor I use it more often. I like the quality well enough as well.

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
18,838 Posts
I didn't think I needed an interface for electric guitar. The Duo-Capture has a Hi-Z input for that purpose. However, I haven't tried recording my electric guitar as yet.

I don't remember mentioning to you that I sold my Greco to my friend
@starjag recently. His son is learning to play the guitar.

I have an Epi 335 from the first year of production. Ironically, I bought it from a local recording studio.
I use my interface to go direct in. If my pedalboard is home I'll go guitar-board-interface-GB. You're using a mic setup, which probably yields some nicer results.

There's still a 335 in your house to be recorded :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts