The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only guitar I ever bought new was a Mansfield Gretsch knockoff in 1977. That's the guitar I would have back.
Otherwise, I've bought pre-owned. My next guitar was a used Gibson S-1.
I have amassed a modest collection of necessary tools by scouring the classifieds. I don't care that it is previously loved. I will love it anew. I generally can't find what I'm looking for at the store, unless it's a trade in. I like to think that I sit in the weeds and wait for the prey to swim by. Hell, my number one I bought, even though it had a broken headstock! That's how I could afford it.

I suppose it comes down to; if one can accept a banged up (older) axe; or, if you want a new model coming out. I'm still trying to get stuff I've seen since 1977.

Anyone?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I`m just like you... I buy used... I bought just 2 new basses from the store, my first was a Kramer bass in 1984 to upgrade from my Japan Tele bass (wish I still had it...) and the second was a Mega Garage sale a L.M. in 95 or 96 were I got this Epiphone bass brand new with a Fender hard case for $80 !!! I could not pass up on it...

Every other instrument I ever bought was used... well owned by someone else... I found lots of closet or under the bed guitars and basses over the years... they were NOS...

The Epiphone is my youngest instrument... I kept it since I like the look and headstock...

·
Premium Member
17,365 Posts
Some guitars I buy used, some guitars I've bought new. More often than not I find the guitar I want regardless.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Same with me, all of my gear I've picked up used. I only have one guitar I bought brand new back in '02 that was a custom order. If I'm looking at buying a "new" guitar I just wait for a used guitar that fits that description, that I can pick up at 1/3 or less the price of the new one.

·
Premium Member
25,139 Posts
The only guitar I ever bought new was a Mansfield Gretsch knockoff in 1977. That's the guitar I would have back.
Otherwise, I've bought pre-owned. My next guitar was a used Gibson S-1.
I have amassed a modest collection of necessary tools by scouring the classifieds. I don't care that it is previously loved. I will love it anew. I generally can't find what I'm looking for at the store, unless it's a trade in. I like to think that I sit in the weeds and wait for the prey to swim by. Hell, my number one I bought, even though it had a broken headstock! That's how I could afford it.

I suppose it comes down to; if one can accept a banged up (older) axe; or, if you want a new model coming out. I'm still trying to get stuff I've seen since 1977.

Anyone?
Another Mansfield owner? Cool. A former coworker gave me his old Mansfield Mosrite knock-off and I am impressed by the attention to detail, For the uninitiated, Mansfield was the house-brand name of clones made for Peate's Music in Montreal. Peate's was, not coincidentally, near the corner of St. Catherine and Mansfield. As a college kid I ogled many a high-end instrument and amp in their very large showcase windows.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I needed a new acoustic and played every one under $1000 and fell in love with the new Yamaha FG830.

I waited for like 6-8 months to see if one would come up used and it didn't. Anywhere in Canada.

So I bought it new.

But yeah otherwise I'm like you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was just talking to someone about this yesterday. I prefer used, and it’s not just the price. A guitar with a couple scars on it, from a buyer who played it hard is so much more interesting to me than something in mint shape that hung on the wall of an air-conditioned room for a couple of years.

It just so happens it saves me money as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
25,139 Posts
I know damn well I'm going to mod it anyway, so the idea of "new", with some sort of warranty, is no particular attractant. I also have a very hard time justifying spending more on myself than I would spend on others, so "new" is generally not feasible, either. The only new guitars I have ever bought were a Turser Tele I got about a decade back (well under $200), and a Parker P-44 that I bought with a backpay settlement cheque my wife badgered me to spend on a guitar. Other than that, it's been used or homemade, all the way.

·
Premium Member
17,365 Posts
The thing is, if no one buys new then the "only buy used" guys wont get nearly as many options.

We need the folks who buy new too.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Overall for electric and acoustic, mostly new, maybe 3/4. It's not really a buying ethic for me, just a factor of often having ordered/commissioned instruments. Of my electrics, 4 out of 6 were used.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I like them both.

Nothing like a guitar built especially for you. I have three of those and one new off the rack (also great).

My acoustic was purchased unplayed, although several years old.

I have a 1939 archtop that I got out of storage a couple of days ago. I made it quite playable and amplified it with an under-saddle pick-up. It won't be used much, though.

The final guitar that I want (Godin Montreal HB) must be "cheap", so that will probably be used.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
My first 2 guitars and amps were new.

Nothing but used since then, likely going to be the same pattern from here on out. Same for a lot of my larger purchases

I'm just frugal that way

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Majority used. Three new - sold one, only because I found the frets a bit small (bitchy aging weak little fingers).

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
A mix of both - and I wouldn't even know the ratio but probably close to 50/50.

A lifetime warranty is a beautiful thing, and you will never find that with a used instrument.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
2 new and 5 used. I like em used as well. Always seem to get a much better guitar than what you pay for used. I only buy for sound and feel/play ability though, not a collector at all. I cannot seem to just look at a guitar...it has to be played to be worth anything IMO.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts