The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm glad to be in a place like this where you can ask for help and many people (I'm sure) will lend a hand: this is about the new Google policies for the monetization of videos and youtube channels where basically a channel has to have 1k subscribers and 4k hours of viewing time during the last 365 days to be able to collect their share of the revenue generated by the ads Google place along the videos.

I have a YouTube channel where I post videos every day about what I do in my music studio and share my ideas and discoveries for free, with time this has become a semi regular source of income (not much, usually a couple hundreds every 5 or 6 months,sometimes more often) put that toguether with what I make as a session guitarist, bass player, local producer, artist coach, audio enthusiast and selling my original music on Bandcamp and it comes to be an important part the total of the money I need to make to sustain my family (because it comes from several small sources), it's not much but for a full time musician/artist every cent counts big time.

My YouTube channel has been in the YouTube partners program for a few years, this means I've been counting on this for a while now and I've had enough views to fulfill the new standard of the required 4k hours in the last year but now that youtube decided that if you have less than 1k followers or subscribers you are no longer eligible to earn money anymore they are cutting off not only the people who are starting but also ending partnerships with people who have been relying on this for a reason or another. These people might be successful in many cases but the nature of their content doesn't attract steady subscribers (you don't usually want to see one new tech tip or trick every day, instead you just google what you need whenever you need it and carry on).

This is why I want you to please subscribe to anyone you see out there with a similar request and please subscribe to my channel at least until this storm is gone, here is the link: Andrei Martinez Agras

Here's an ADDITIONAL HEADS UP you can share with friends in the same situation: tell them to head over to Twitter, search the hashtag #Sub4sub and they will find a whole community of small YouTubers who are supporting each other by subscribing between them.

Thank you very much for reading all this!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!!!!!!! I knew you wouldn't let a fellow member down! We have similar interests, I'm sure you will find something interesting in my videos, I promise to keep them under 2-3 minutes and free of unnecessary talk, just music.
I got the same email yesterday.
Jim post the link to your channel here and I'll subscribe right away!
#sub4sub

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,109 Posts
I usually only use YouTube for fail and cat videos... but I'm in. :)

Reactions: amagras

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Yes, I'll certainly find a few things to watch in there. Unless there's cat videos, then I just might have to bow out gracefully.

Reactions: amagras

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for sacrificing your beloved cat videos for us dear fellows! feel free to comment, ask about anything I haven't explained very well and start the conversation in general, anytime. I'm always ready to exercise my written English (with the occasional help from google translator).

·
Premium Member
9,712 Posts
Subscribed. But if you want me to actually watch, you'd better post 1)funny cat vids 2) exotic cars getting in embarrassing accidents 3) bewbs.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Jim Dockrell

I work on the occasional guitar, but mostly me woodworking and farting around.

I don't twit, so the pound sign does nothing for me. Also, I would prefer subscribers that actually watch and are interested in what goes on in and around my shop.
I'm an aspiring shop teacher.I'm in

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've subbed back to 15 exotic car channels, 12 beauty blogs, 43 gamers and 135 funny cats pages today. I appreciate the massive support guys, thank you so so much! I had 618 followers this morning and now I'm close to 680 which is incredibly encouraging, with 30 days ahead I have hope it is possibke to get to 1k!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts