The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 64 Princeton's treble pot is giving me some grief, I tried cleaning it and no luck still really scratchy. So what my question is, what brand of pot should I go with? Next problem is that I only need one and where is the best place to get one in Canada. I know you will say go to a music store but they are few and far between here, but I guess I could go to the local L&M and see if they have what I need.
I think its a 250k audio pot, I can't remember I'll have to check.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
L&M will be able to order it for you. Likely one of the more expensive options.

250K audio taper is not a rare value. I have some Alphas, and they are good enough for rock n roll (and cheap), but CTS (or various extra-QC or custom ordered resellers) are the general standard (I might have one, but I doubt it - think I just have 1 Megers left). IMHO better than that still would be Bourns but probably overkill if you use the nicer conductive plastic ones, but they also make regular carbon track pots that are just as good as CTS (you can get either of those at Mouser/Digikey).

L&M would likely get you CTS.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,823 Posts
Okay I'd go with a CTS does NextGen have a 250k audio pot? I think I saw a Alpha
We certainly do, in both standard and "Vintage Style". Here is a link to the standard one:
CTS - A250K Split Shaft Pot

That said, @Granny Gremlin is right. It's an awful lot of money (and delay, if you go by Canada Post) to ship just one pot. It's certainly worth it to see if you can find one locally first.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We certainly do, in both standard and "Vintage Style". Here is a link to the standard one:
CTS - A250K Split Shaft Pot

That said, @Granny Gremlin is right. It's an awful lot of money (and delay, if you go by Canada Post) to ship just one pot. It's certainly worth it to see if you can find one locally first.
I may just have to order more stuff to make it worth my while, do you have any solid shaft CTS stuff. I think the pot on my old Princeton is a solid shaft. Not a huge deal but thought I would ask

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I have Solid shaft Alphas too... but Next Gen is much closer to you. Some respected amp makers use them in their kits (e,.g. Trinity Amps), and just about every pedal builder today also uses them so they're easily good enough.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,823 Posts
Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check for D.C. voltage on the pot (test meter on the white lead from the 250p cap to ground)...the scratch "may" be a leaking blocking cap passing DC to the tone stack......
Okay, never considered that I'll have to try that prior to saying I have a pot problem, hmmm that doesn't sound right....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts