The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm not very familiar with this small chain of shops. I manage an L&M in Halifax, so I usually buy new stuff from my workplace. We don't carry everything though, and sometimes I do have to shop elsewhere. I purchased a guitar from Tundra Music, and the guitar itself was great, but took quite a while to arrive after ordering. This was presented to me on the basis that it was slowed down by the rosewood border issues. This could have been the case, and I'm cool with that. My question is, do any of you guys deal with them regularly? Or have you had much experience with them in the past. What I discovered is that there seems to be a fairly long time between emails to respond to questions, when all you want to do is buy something from them. I just wondered if that's typical of that business or not.

Thanks for any info you can offer on the subject.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I ordered it, and paid, it was May 26th. At that time they said it was in stock in their warehouse and id get it in 2 weeks. I got the guitar on July 18. Their warehouse was apparently then manufacturers warehouse in Tampa Bay. The shipment was supposedly help up at the border for 2.5 weeks the guy said. I dunno if thats true, and I don't care as much at this point. My main curiosity is that they seem to do a decent amount of online business, and sometimes I'll need to send 2 or 3 emails or call them to remind them I've emailed them in order to get a response. I just wondered if they are generally pretty slack in that regard, or maybe its just the guy I'm dealing with at the Hamilton location. I'm not looking to take pot shots at anyone or their character, so I'll leave names out.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Yeah, people have mixed feelings about Tundra. The owner sticks to his guns and thinks he's essentially a rock star (famous people (namely, Keith Richards) visit him when they play in town, so he's a name dropper...big time). For the record, I actually like him.

I went to buy a vintage tweed champ from him and he wouldn't budge on his inflated price. I bought elsewhere and saved $1500.

I bought a marshall stack - no problem.

I think it's best to deal with them in person though.

Also, the guy at the toronto shop isn't very knowledgeable. I was there and a guy walks in asking for a tele with a thin neck, and the salesman told him the thinlines have thin necks - hence the name. What a goof.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Tundra Hamilton is a one man show. He opened about two years ago and has managed to keep floating Downtown where not many people go. I believe it is a franchise type deal with the Toronto store. Good guy the couple times I was in and I am sure he is doing his best for you.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
It is a fact of life in the business world that first impressions can make or break the chance of a possible repeat customer.
I have dealt with Tundra exactly one time.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tundra Hamilton is a one man show. He opened about two years ago and has managed to keep floating Downtown where not many people go. I believe it is a franchise type deal with the Toronto store. Good guy the couple times I was in and I am sure he is doing his best for you.
I have no idea of the brick and mortar dynamic, since I'm living 2,000KM away. I appreciate your insight, and by no means am I opening up the forum for the purpose of casting any ill will towards the business. Just a guy hoping to buy a guitar from their business is all.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
i am a bit confused..... did you not say in your second post that you received the guitar on July 18 ? in your third post you say you are hoping to buy a guitar......am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
It is a fact of life in the business world that first impressions can make or break the chance of a possible repeat customer.
I have dealt with Tundra exactly one time.
They do not make a good first impression that is true. ... or second, third or fourth impressions either for that matter.

The first store was close to my high school job, so I went there to look at stuff. Everything costs double what it should andalways has. I have a theory about that but I'll keep it to myself. I've had them raise the price on me ( already overpriced) as soon as I showed interest. Just like some said above, bought elsewhere for cheaper ( shipped in from the US; they are that overpriced; the item in question is still up on reverb to this day).

That said if you buy from them, I don't think they'd stiff ya. They are flakey though (posted store hours are a general rule only and not to be trusted; if you call to ask them something and they say they'll call you back after checking for you, they often don't).

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am a bit confused..... did you not say in your second post that you received the guitar on July 18 ? in your third post you say you are hoping to buy a guitar......am i missing something?
I bought one guitar. They took a deposit for a second guitar. I was told the guitar was on a 2-3 month back order from the supplier. I called the manufacturer and they said it's discontinued and no longer available. I passed that info on to the salesperson. They agreed that it wasn't going to be obtainable. I am now trying to turn that deposit into a different guitar. So at this point, I'm a repeat customer who's already just purchased something.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I experienced some issues with Tundra over a single order that went sideways.

I had been reading a whole lot of voodoo comments about tone as it relates to instrument cabling.
Maybe 7 or 8 years ago.
Brass connections vs. chromed connections.
Short vs. long.
Coax vs. pairs.
Braided coax shield vs. spiral vs. foil.
Covering materials.
Conductor alloys, etc.
I'm sure you've all seen such things in the past at some point.
I decided I wanted to either prove or disprove the cabling myths.
I wanted to know for myself by doing my own comparisons.

I found some magic, voodoo, overpriced cable at Tundra and pulled the trigger.
A substantial number of the internet tone-snob cable experts had named it as the ultimate cable.
I can't even remember what it was called.
I think the cable was listed at $79 (8 ft.) on the website and shipping was included. (I think)
I got the email confirmation of my order which showed $99 plus tax and about $14 for shipping.
I immediately contacted them about the price difference and they said the website had not been updated at the time of my order and do I want to cancel the order?
No offer to sell the cable at the advertised price was made.
I decided to go ahead as I had not found any other Canadian sources for the cable and I really wanted to know if it was worth it or not.
The cable arrived almost 3 weeks after it was supposed to.
When I opened the box, the included receipt showed $149 plus tax and shipping.
I checked with VISA and sure enough, they had charge my card to the tune of a little over $170.
I had VISA reverse the charges and I returned the cable at my own expense.
I left the cable in the sealed plastic package and never did try it.
The experience cost me about $15, some corrections on my VISA bill, a snooty email from Tundra and a hard lesson learned.

Lesson being: Never, ever, EVER, for any reason whatsoever, do business with Tundra.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I went to the Hamilton Tundra store - once.

Nothing was priced as they were "putting the new price increases through".
I asked about a couple of guitars which were all overpriced compared to the competition.

They had a small used, out of production, tube combo there that I had some interest in so I asked the price on it.
At the time, I knew I could readily buy one for no more $400.
Their price - $1050.

I learned a valuable lesson about Tundra's pricing that day and I have not been back since.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You know I often wonder if GC should shut these threads down that run down instrument retailers. First it is LA Music and now Tundra is on the chopping block. I no if I owned one of these stores there would be some interaction with GC..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If stores didn't fuck people over they wouldn't have people slagging on them.
There have been tons of posts elsewhere on these pages about a lot of other stores with folks giving glowing recommendations.
You have identified only two that get bad reviews out of a great many that are out there.
Forum readers should have the right to know about bad experiences so they can make informed decisions on where to do business, or at least go in with their eyes open.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You know I often wonder if GC should shut these threads down that run down instrument retailers. First it is LA Music and now Tundra is on the chopping block. I no if I owned one of these stores there would be some interaction with GC..
Every poster also has the right to outline good or bad experiences with any retailer. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed talk about that here?

If a store, or a mechanic, a dentist, or a product sucks or is awesome, I would like to know it and think that people should be free to express their views. Trying to control people's free speech with regards to personal opinions is complete BS... in my opinion ;)

Tundra or anyone else has the right to post here and address any concerns that might be brought up.

My 2 cents

1 - 20 of 63 Posts