The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while back i grabbed a "Morley Compact - Stereo Volume - Model CSV" on the local used market and... Well... Here I am searching around online and I cannot find anything that matches this model I have here.
I'm getting no results on reverb, so there aren't any circulating around that i can find other than the one I found.

Could some of you fine gents help me out?
What do i have here? Is it...
A. a vintage rarity?
B. a bootleg?
C. a prototype?
I'm curious as to the origins of this thing...
I'd post pics if somebody could remind me how to do so on here (yeah, I'm that guy...)

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right after I hit post reply i get a response lol of course...
But yes, that is it! Thanks for filling in the blanks, i assumed it was from the late 70's based on a similar wah pedal in that line

· Premium Member
29,762 Posts
I wouldn't consider it either "rare" or "vintage". There is nothing about it, whether the components used or form factor, that is distinctive or hard to come by.
Is it useful? Depends on circumstances. The schematic shows it employs a pair of ganged 50k volume pots. Use between the guitar and first pedal is contra-indicated. Best used between your last pedal and amp or at least after something that provides a constant output buffer. Although, in theory, it could be converted to a panning pedal, producing reciprocal volume changes in the two outputs, in practice their use of log pots means that this would not work out very well.

· Registered
384 Posts
right after I hit post reply i get a response lol of course...
But yes, that is it! Thanks for filling in the blanks, i assumed it was from the late 70's based on a similar wah pedal in that line
Cheers.

I don't recall seeing any Tel-Ray era Morley products in the 1970's (the "Morley men do it.... with their feet" ad copy days) that did not sport the form factor of:

1. big, thick chrome-plated housing
2. electro-optical circuitry (i.e. no pots for wah and/or volume control)
3. AC power only with a hardwired power cord.

Sometime in the early '80s (probably around the time the Compact series was launched), Morley started building a line of the chrome-plated housing pedals called the Slimline series with a slimmer housing. The electro-optical circuitry was retained but the AC power cord was gone. Instead, the pedals feature an AC adaptor jack and can also be powered by a 9v battery.

It was likely that Morley phased out the thicker housing AC-only pedals around that time. After that, Morley began using black metal housing (e.g. Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wah), with the budget-priced ones (forgot that name of that particular series) using pots instead of LDR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.